Above is a photo of Danish Prime Minister Helle Thorning snapping a big happy selfie sandwiched between British Prime Minister David Cameron and President Barack Obama during Nelson Mandela's memorial service, held today in Johannesburg, South Africa.
There is much to discuss in this photo. Note how Michelle Obama's attitude matches the somber nature of the occasion, while her husband and his pals are giving off a first-time-at-the-prom vibe. Also note the president's very questionable lower-lip bite (maybe he just really wants a new smartphone?), which is perhaps unbefitting of the leader of the free world. That is to say nothing of David Cameron's awkward lean-in.
The photo even found its way onto the notable shaming Tumblr "Selfies Taken at Funerals," with the caption, "Our work here is done."
It's technically a memorial service, not a funeral, but point taken. Is this the most dubious selfie of the year?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Hey, scolds: Stop telling us to enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
Subscribe to the Week