- 2014 Watch March 23
In his latest election forecast for FiveThirtyEight, stats guru Nate Silver predicts that the GOP is a "slight favorite" to take control of the Senate this November. Silver estimates Republicans have about a 60 percent chance to pick up at least the six seats necessary to win back the upper chamber, though he cautions that only four races are "clearly leaning their way," and offers the standard disclaimer that the elections are still seven months away — a lifetime in electoral politics. As of now though, Silver's model shows the GOP heavily favored to pick up seats in South Dakota, West Virginia, Montana, and Arkansas, with Louisiana leaning Republican and North Carolina a straight toss up.
As for the accuracy of Silver's past political prognostications, he correctly predicted the electoral college outcome in all 50 states in the 2012 election, four years after going 49 for 50 in the previous cycle.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 7 tips for keeping your man (from the 1950s)
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
Subscribe to the Week