- 2014 Watch March 23
In his latest election forecast for FiveThirtyEight, stats guru Nate Silver predicts that the GOP is a "slight favorite" to take control of the Senate this November. Silver estimates Republicans have about a 60 percent chance to pick up at least the six seats necessary to win back the upper chamber, though he cautions that only four races are "clearly leaning their way," and offers the standard disclaimer that the elections are still seven months away — a lifetime in electoral politics. As of now though, Silver's model shows the GOP heavily favored to pick up seats in South Dakota, West Virginia, Montana, and Arkansas, with Louisiana leaning Republican and North Carolina a straight toss up.
As for the accuracy of Silver's past political prognostications, he correctly predicted the electoral college outcome in all 50 states in the 2012 election, four years after going 49 for 50 in the previous cycle.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- 8 tricks to surviving the holidays without gaining weight or being grouchy
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
Subscribe to the Week