- This just in April 4
Mashable reports that Stephen Colbert is CBS' "top choice" to replace David Letterman as the host of the Late Show — and that the Comedy Central funnyman is "into it."
Colbert has not had any formal contract discussions with CBS, and no agreement is in place, but sources tell Mashable that he first engaged with network executives while Letterman was still mulling the timing of his retirement. Though CBS has had conversations with other candidates, including Colbert's Comedy Central counterpart Jon Stewart, individuals with knowledge of the situation say Colbert is currently the front-and-center candidate. [Mashable]
If tapped for the Late Show, Colbert will probably ditch the arch-conservative buffoon shtick — which after nine years may feel more like a cage than a character.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to make classic pulled pork
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- Don't vote for Andrew Cuomo
Subscribe to the Week