- This just in April 4
Mashable reports that Stephen Colbert is CBS' "top choice" to replace David Letterman as the host of the Late Show — and that the Comedy Central funnyman is "into it."
Colbert has not had any formal contract discussions with CBS, and no agreement is in place, but sources tell Mashable that he first engaged with network executives while Letterman was still mulling the timing of his retirement. Though CBS has had conversations with other candidates, including Colbert's Comedy Central counterpart Jon Stewart, individuals with knowledge of the situation say Colbert is currently the front-and-center candidate. [Mashable]
If tapped for the Late Show, Colbert will probably ditch the arch-conservative buffoon shtick — which after nine years may feel more like a cage than a character.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: November 28, 2014
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
Subscribe to the Week