- America the Beautiful April 23
New Yorkers aren't the only ones eating dessert hybrids. Chicago's Waffles Cafe is selling a combination of a donut and waffle, affectionately called the wonut.
Yesterday, Thrillist posted a series of mouthwatering photos from a visit to Waffles Cafe, where they toured the restaurant's kitchen and went behind the scenes of the wonut-making process. According to Thrillist, the waffles are deep-fried in vegetable shortening and dipped in sugar, marshmallow, maple, or chocolate glazes. Add toppings like sprinkles, granola, or chocolate shavings, and voila: wonut!
For the consumer who wants to be healthy and eat a wonut too, there's also a whole wheat variety. Other flavors include green tea, red velvet, and Mexican chocolate.
Check out the full story over at Thrillist, and please excuse me while I hop on the next plane to Chicago.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- How to make classic pulled pork
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Don't vote for Andrew Cuomo
- How The Killing survived two cancellations and ended on its own terms
Subscribe to the Week