FOLLOW THE WEEK ON FACEBOOK
March 11, 2016
Mandel Ngan/AFP/Getty Images

The decision by Nabisco's parent company, Mondelez International, to move Oreo production from Chicago to Salinas, Mexico, has drawn sharp criticism from presidential hopefuls Bernie Sanders, Hillary Clinton, and especially Donald Trump, a former pitchman for Oreos. The company cites the $46 million it will save each year for the move to Salinas and the dismissal of 600 workers in Chicago, but Mondelez spokeswoman Laurie Guzzinati says at least half those workers would still have lost their jobs if Nabisco built its new cookie and cracker factory in the U.S.

"Even if the investment would have been made in Chicago, there would have been an impact to positions at that bakery," she told USA Today, explaining that the new factory lines and machines are more efficient than the ones Nabisco operates in Chicago.

Nate Zeff, a member of the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers, and Grain Millers (BCTGM) International Union, isn't sympathetic, especially since Mondelez CEO Irene Rosenfeld earned $21 million last year. "We're talking about 600 jobs," he said, and "600 families who are going to be deeply affected. That's millions of dollars that's going to be stripped away from the economy here." The Chicago plant will still have 600 workers, and while it won't be making Oreos, Nabisco's Oreo plants in Oregon, Virginia, and New Jersey will still make the cookies, along with bakeries in 16 other countries. Oreos earned Mondelez $2.5 billion in revenue in 2014. Peter Weber

1:02 p.m. ET
Pool/Getty Images

Britain has voted to leave the European Union, but the now-official Brexit won't happen overnight. The EU has a formal, two-year exit process, which Irish Foreign Minister Charlie Flanagan said Saturday should not coincide with an Irish unity vote.

"I share the view that at some stage in the future that the unification would be in the best interests of the people but only when there is a majority consent of the people in Northern Ireland," Flanagan remarked, adding, "We now have a situation following the referendum, where the UK is leaving the European Union. Any further referendums in Northern Ireland would cause a greater level of division than we have now and is therefore in my view particularly unhelpful."

His comments come after Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland Martin McGuinness called for the unity vote on Friday, arguing that the British government "now has no democratic mandate to represent the views of the North in any future negotiations with the European Union" because 56 percent of Northern Irish voters backed remaining in the EU. Bonnie Kristian

12:48 p.m. ET
Jeff J. Mitchell/Getty Images

Presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump doesn't have much in the way of campaign infrastructure — in fact, one recent report revealed he employs a mere 30 campaign staff nationwide, the same as what his likely general election opponent, Hillary Clinton, has in Iowa alone.

But now that Trump is beginning to recognize he'll need more help to claim the Oval Office, he has discovered very few experienced GOP advisers are willing to work with him.

"Right now I feel no obligation to lift a finger to help Donald Trump," said Brent Swander, a Republican logistics coordinator who has worked on multiple presidential campaigns. "Everything that we're taught as children — not to bully, not to demean, to treat others with respect — everything we're taught as children is the exact opposite of what the Republican nominee is doing," Swander added. "How do you work for somebody like that? What would I tell my family?"

Scott Smith, formerly of the George W. Bush, Rick Perry, and Ted Cruz outfits, echoed Swander's sentiments. "It's very clear that none of us are going to work for Trump," he said. "Even if I wanted to work for Trump, my wife would kill me." Bonnie Kristian

12:30 p.m. ET
Farah Abdi Warsameh/Associated Press

A group of militants suspected to be from Somalia's al Shabaab Islamist terrorist organization launched an attack on a hotel popular among government officials in the country's capital of Mogadishu on Saturday.

The assault began when a suicide bomber detonated a vehicle by the gate of Hotel Nasa Hablod, after which additional fighters rushed inside the building, firing weapons. "We attacked the hotel which was frequented by the apostate government members," an al Shabaab spokesman told Reuters.

At least seven people have died in the raid so far, including hotel workers and civilians. "They were shooting at everyone they could see," said an eyewitness named Ali Mohamud. "I escaped through the back door," he added.

Local law enforcement have arrived at the hotel, where they have rescued people through the rear entrance and killed at least two of the terrorists. The fighters took an unknown number of hostages inside the building. Bonnie Kristian

12:10 p.m. ET
Tobias Schwarz/Getty Images

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is considering a new policy which would request that foreign visitors to the United States voluntarily provide their social media accounts for the feds to peruse. Travelers would be asked to give "information associated with your online presence," including usernames on any social media network where they are active.

The department argues this information would "enhance the existing investigative process and provide DHS greater clarity and visibility to possible nefarious activity and connections by providing an additional tool set which analysts and investigators may use to better analyze and investigate the case."

But the plan is already subject to pushback. It's "very unclear what [federal officials] plan to do" with the information they would collect, said Joseph Lorenzo Hall of the Center for Democracy and Technology. After all, he added, the government has "a really horrible track record interpreting ... comments on social media, and interpreting them as meaning grave threats." Bonnie Kristian

11:39 a.m. ET
Kena Betancur/Getty Images

The Bay Area branch of Black Lives Matter (BLM) has decided to withdraw from this weekend's Pride Parade in San Francisco in response to a scaled-up police presence planned for the event following the mass shooting at Orlando's Pulse nightclub, a gay bar.

"The Black Lives Matter network is grateful to the people of San Francisco for choosing us, we choose you too,” said BLM member Malkia Cyril in a statement explaining the group's choice, which was shared by at least two other organizations: the TGI Justice Project, a nonprofit which works with imprisoned, transgender women of color, and the St. James Infirmary, a clinic serving sex workers.

"As queer people of color, we are disproportionately targeted by both vigilante and police violence," Cyril continued. "We know first hand that increasing the police presence at Pride does not increase safety for all people. Militarizing these events increases the potential for harm to our communities and we hope in the future SF Pride will consider community-centered approaches to security at pride events.” Bonnie Kristian

11:22 a.m. ET
Spencer Platt/Getty Images

Britain's decision to leave the European Union caused the value of the British pound to plummet and gave Wall Street its worst day in 10 months on Friday.

A massive sell-off caused the S&P 500 to lose all its gains for 2016, making it negative for the year to date, with only high-dividend-paying utilities ending Friday's trading profitably.

Market watchers expect sales to take a while to stabilize, and suggest that this turn of events will confirm the Federal Reserve's decision to hold off on an interest rate hike for the time being. Bonnie Kristian

11:03 a.m. ET
Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images

TV bingers, rejoice: Netflix is rumored to be seriously considered allowing users to download its videos.

"We know from our sources within the industry that Netflix is going to launch this product," says Dan Taitz, COO of video software company Penthera. "My expectation is that by the end of the year Netflix will be launching download-to-go as an option for their customers." His gossip was echoed by Dan Rayburn, an analyst at technology research firm Frost & Sullivan.

Netflix itself declined to comment on the rumors Friday, though in April Netflix CEO Reed Hastings said the online streaming giant would "keep an open mind" about downloads. That's a significantly different message from the comments made by Netflix chief product officer Neil Hunt in September, when he posited that offering consumers additional choices — stream vs. download — can paralyze them into not choosing to watch anything at all. Bonnie Kristian

See More Speed Reads