Mecca stampede: safety review ordered after 717 die
Survivors left 'weeping inconsolably' in the heat after fatal stampede at the annual Hajj pilgrimage
The deaths of 717 people in a stampede near the holy city of Mecca in Saudi Arabia have prompted a safety review of the annual Hajj pilgrimage.
The stampede, in which a further 863 people were injured, might have been caused by two waves of pilgrims meeting at an intersection at Mina, according to the kingdom's Interior Ministry. The UK Foreign Office is urgently trying to find out if British nationals were involved.
Pilgrims were taking part in the "stoning of the devil", where they hurl stones at three pillars representing the spot where the devil is said to have appeared.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Arab News described "terrifying scenes" with corpses "lying in heaps, their skin flayed off their bodies by the crush". Others, who had died from suffocation, showed no visible injuries.
"Survivors sat weeping inconsolably in the 45-degree heat, seeking any shade they could find in the concrete-and-rubble desert, completely traumatised by what they had seen. One old man was clinging to the lifeless body of a relative," said the newspaper.
In an editorial, it noted that the kingdom spends billions of riyals on managing the Hajj but that yesterday's incident "underlined the need for more efforts to bolster safety measures".
It is the worst incident since 1990 when a stampede in a pedestrian tunnel leading from Mecca towards Mina led to the deaths of 1,426 people. Hundreds of others have died since then after being trampled to death.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
This morning, Saudi Arabia's King Salman announced the safety review of the five-day pilgrimage to Islam's holiest site, which attracts around two million people from 164 countries each year.
"We have instructed concerned authorities to review the operations plan and to raise the level of organisation and management to ensure that the guests of God perform their rituals in comfort and ease," he said.
The latest fatal crush comes less than a fortnight after 107 people were killed and 200 were injured at the Grand Mosque in Mecca when a crane collapsed in a thunderstorm on 11 September. Saudi authorities announced that the annual Hajj would go ahead despite the accident.
-
5 treacherously funny cartoons about seditious behaviourCartoons Artists take on branches of government, a CAPTCHA test, and more
-
Political cartoons for November 29Cartoons Saturday's political cartoons include Kash Patel's travel perks, believing in Congress, and more
-
Nigel Farage: was he a teenage racist?Talking Point Farage’s denials have been ‘slippery’, but should claims from Reform leader’s schooldays be on the news agenda?
-
Femicide: Italy’s newest crimeThe Explainer Landmark law to criminalise murder of a woman as an ‘act of hatred’ or ‘subjugation’ but critics say Italy is still deeply patriarchal
-
Brazil’s Bolsonaro behind bars after appeals run outSpeed Read He will serve 27 years in prison
-
Americans traveling abroad face renewed criticism in the Trump eraThe Explainer Some of Trump’s behavior has Americans being questioned
-
Nigeria confused by Trump invasion threatSpeed Read Trump has claimed the country is persecuting Christians
-
Sanae Takaichi: Japan’s Iron Lady set to be the country’s first woman prime ministerIn the Spotlight Takaichi is a member of Japan’s conservative, nationalist Liberal Democratic Party
-
Russia is ‘helping China’ prepare for an invasion of TaiwanIn the Spotlight Russia is reportedly allowing China access to military training
-
Interpol arrests hundreds in Africa-wide sextortion crackdownIN THE SPOTLIGHT A series of stings disrupts major cybercrime operations as law enforcement estimates millions in losses from schemes designed to prey on lonely users
-
China is silently expanding its influence in American citiesUnder the Radar New York City and San Francisco, among others, have reportedly been targeted