Benjamin Netanyahu blames Islamic State for Jerusalem attack
Four Israeli cadets die after Palestinian deliberately drives lorry into group of soldiers at viewpoint overlooking Old City
Israel's Prime Minister has said yesterday's attack in Jerusalem, in which four Israeli cadets died, has all the signs of an Islamic State operation.
Benjamin Netanyahu said that "according to all the signs, [the attacker] was a supporter of the Islamic State", but he did not offer any further details. No claim of responsibility has yet been made.
He added: "This is part of the same pattern inspired by Islamic State, by Isis, that we saw first in France, then in Germany and now in Jerusalem."
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Three women and one man were killed and a dozen people injured when a Palestinian deliberately drove a truck into a large group of Israeli soldiers visiting a vewpoint overlooking Jerusalem's Old City. The attacker was shot dead.
National police chief Roni Alseich said it was possible the driver had been motivated by last month's lorry attack in Berlin.
He said: "It is difficult to get into the head of every individual to determine what prompted him, but there is no doubt that these things do have an effect."
Palestinian media say the attacker was Fadi al-Qanbar, a married man in his 20s who had reportedly served time in an Israeli prison.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Militant group Hamas called it a "heroic" act and encouraged other Palestinians to "escalate the resistance".
Sunday's incident brings to 39 the total number of Israelis killed in knife, gun and car-ramming attacks by Palestinians or Israeli Arabs since October 2015. In the same time, more than 230 Palestinians have died in violence.
The number of attacks had begun to subside, says the BBC's Yolande Knell, but yesterday's incident is one of the most serious in years.
Israel says Palestinian incitement has fuelled the attacks, but "the Palestinian leadership has blamed frustration rooted in decades of Israeli occupation", says the BBC.
-
5 critical cartoons about the proposed Russia-Ukraine peace dealCartoons Artists take on talking turkey, Putin's puppet, and more
-
Could Trump run for a third term?The Explainer Constitutional amendment limits US presidents to two terms, but Trump diehards claim there is a loophole
-
Political cartoons for November 28Cartoons Friday's political cartoons include economic diagnosis, climate distractions, and more
-
Femicide: Italy’s newest crimeThe Explainer Landmark law to criminalise murder of a woman as an ‘act of hatred’ or ‘subjugation’ but critics say Italy is still deeply patriarchal
-
Brazil’s Bolsonaro behind bars after appeals run outSpeed Read He will serve 27 years in prison
-
Americans traveling abroad face renewed criticism in the Trump eraThe Explainer Some of Trump’s behavior has Americans being questioned
-
Israel jolted by ‘shocking’ settler violenceIN THE SPOTLIGHT A wave of brazen attacks on Palestinian communities in the West Bank has prompted a rare public outcry from Israeli officials
-
Why these Iraqi elections are so importantThe Explainer The US and Israel are increasingly pressuring Baghdad to tackle Iran-backed militants, while weakened Iran sees Iraq as a vital remaining ally
-
Israel arrests ex-IDF legal chief over abuse video leakSpeed Read Maj. Gen. Yifat Tomer-Yerushalmi had resigned from her post last week
-
Nigeria confused by Trump invasion threatSpeed Read Trump has claimed the country is persecuting Christians
-
Gaza ceasefire teeters as Netanyahu orders strikesSpeed Read Israel accused Hamas of firing on Israeli troops