Louvre attack: Man shot after wounding soldier with machete
Assailant shouted 'Allahu Akbar' before the assault outside entrance to museum
A man has been shot outside the Louvre in Paris after attacking a soldier with a machete, according to French media.
Four soldiers were patrolling the Carrousel du Louvre, an underground shopping arcade adjoining the museum, at 9.45am (8.45am GMT) this morning when they were approached by a man near an escalator leading to the museum entrance.
The assailant attacked one soldier with a machete, leaving him with a slight scalp wound, Le Monde reports, before a second soldier opened fire, shooting the knifeman five times.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
A photo taken inside the shopping centre by a Chinese tour guide and posted to Twitter by journalist Stephane Kovacs shows a man lying prone on the ground, surrounded by armed police officers.
The French interior ministry confirmed on Twitter that a "serious" security incident was taking place at the Louvre, which was evacuated and remains closed to the public.
French Prime Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said that the incident clearly represented "an attack of a terrorist nature", Liberation reports.
In a press conference, police chief Michel Cadot said the man had shouted: "Allahu Akbar" ("God is great," in Arabic) and made other remarks that indicated his actions were intended as a terrorist attack.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Cadot said that the attacker had been wounded in the stomach, but that he was "conscious". No explosives were found in the two rucksacks he was carrying.
Chief of Defence Staff General Pierre de Villiers commended the two soldiers involved for their "determination, professionalism and cool-headedness" in subduing the attacker and preventing any casualties.
The soldiers were patrolling the approach to the Louvre as part of Operation Sentinelle, which was introduced in the aftermath of the Charlie Hebdo shootings in January 2015 to increase the military presence in the French capital.
-
Political cartoons for November 30Cartoons Sunday's political cartoons include the Saudi-China relationship, MAGA spelled wrong, and more
-
Rothermere’s Telegraph takeover: ‘a right-leaning media powerhouse’Talking Point Deal gives Daily Mail and General Trust more than 50% of circulation in the UK newspaper market
-
The US-Saudi relationship: too big to fail?Talking Point With the Saudis investing $1 trillion into the US, and Trump granting them ‘major non-Nato ally’ status, for now the two countries need each other
-
Femicide: Italy’s newest crimeThe Explainer Landmark law to criminalise murder of a woman as an ‘act of hatred’ or ‘subjugation’ but critics say Italy is still deeply patriarchal
-
Brazil’s Bolsonaro behind bars after appeals run outSpeed Read He will serve 27 years in prison
-
Americans traveling abroad face renewed criticism in the Trump eraThe Explainer Some of Trump’s behavior has Americans being questioned
-
Nigeria confused by Trump invasion threatSpeed Read Trump has claimed the country is persecuting Christians
-
The Louvre’s security measures are in hot water after a major heistIn the Spotlight Millions of dollars in jewels were stolen from the museum
-
France’s ‘red hands’ trial highlights alleged Russian disruption operationsUNDER THE RADAR Attacks on religious and cultural institutions around France have authorities worried about Moscow’s effort to sow chaos in one of Europe’s political centers
-
The WW2 massacre dividing Senegal and FranceUnder the Radar A new investigation found the 1944 Thiaroye attack on ‘unarmed’ African soldiers was ‘premeditated’, and far deadlier than previously recorded
-
Sanae Takaichi: Japan’s Iron Lady set to be the country’s first woman prime ministerIn the Spotlight Takaichi is a member of Japan’s conservative, nationalist Liberal Democratic Party