Paris shooting: Islamic State claims responsibility after policeman is killed
Suspect reportedly under security service surveillance and had served time for previously shooting at police
Islamic State has claimed responsibility for an attack in the Champs-Elysees in Paris last night that left one police officer dead and another two wounded.
In an announcement through its propaganda arm Amaq, the terror group named the gunman as Abu Yusuf al Beljiki and suggested he was a Belgian national.
Police have not yet confirmed the name, saying they first want to establish whether he was acting alone.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
CNN reports that the suspect "was the subject of a 'Fiche S' surveillance file and was on the radar of the French domestic security service DGSI".
According to French media, he had served several years in prison for shooting at police in the early 2000s.
Pierre Henry Brandet, of the French Interior Ministry, said the attacker stopped his car in front of a police van and emerged with an automatic weapon.
He opened fire on the van, killing one policeman instantly, and then "ran away, managing to shoot and wound two other", he added. "Other policemen engaged and shot and killed the attacker."
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
A witness said: "We heard shots like a firecracker and we saw an attack on police, we turned and fled."
French President Francois Hollande said he was convinced the attack was an act of terrorism.
The shooting came three days before the first round of voting in France's presidential election, as the candidates were making a final joint TV appearance.
Marine Le Pen of the far-right Front National, Francois Fillon of the centre-right Republicains and centrist Emmanuel Macron have cancelled events scheduled for today, the last day of the campaign.
"It would easy to assume that Marine Le Pen - so outspoken about security, migration and Islamic fundamentalism - could benefit at the ballot box," says the BBC's Katya Adler. "But anxious voters may turn, instead, to experienced conservative politician and former Prime Minister Francois Fillon."
-
Could Trump run for a third term?The Explainer Constitutional amendment limits US presidents to two terms, but Trump diehards claim there is a loophole
-
Political cartoons for November 28Cartoons Friday's political cartoons include economic diagnosis, climate distractions, and more
-
What does the fall in net migration mean for the UK?Today’s Big Question With Labour and the Tories trying to ‘claim credit’ for lower figures, the ‘underlying picture is far less clear-cut’
-
Femicide: Italy’s newest crimeThe Explainer Landmark law to criminalise murder of a woman as an ‘act of hatred’ or ‘subjugation’ but critics say Italy is still deeply patriarchal
-
Brazil’s Bolsonaro behind bars after appeals run outSpeed Read He will serve 27 years in prison
-
Americans traveling abroad face renewed criticism in the Trump eraThe Explainer Some of Trump’s behavior has Americans being questioned
-
Nigeria confused by Trump invasion threatSpeed Read Trump has claimed the country is persecuting Christians
-
Sanae Takaichi: Japan’s Iron Lady set to be the country’s first woman prime ministerIn the Spotlight Takaichi is a member of Japan’s conservative, nationalist Liberal Democratic Party
-
Russia is ‘helping China’ prepare for an invasion of TaiwanIn the Spotlight Russia is reportedly allowing China access to military training
-
Interpol arrests hundreds in Africa-wide sextortion crackdownIN THE SPOTLIGHT A series of stings disrupts major cybercrime operations as law enforcement estimates millions in losses from schemes designed to prey on lonely users
-
China is silently expanding its influence in American citiesUnder the Radar New York City and San Francisco, among others, have reportedly been targeted