Austin bombings: suspect Mark Anthony Conditt blows himself up

The 23-year-old white male was being pursued by Texas police when he detonated explosive device

Austin bombings
Cordoned-off street outside FedEx distribution centre where package exploded
(Image credit: Suzanne Cordeiro/AFP/Getty Images)

The man suspected of carrying out a spate of deadly bombings in Texas has killed himself, police have confirmed.

Mark Anthony Conditt, 23, detonated an explosive device in his car as a SWAT team approached the vehicle in the city of Round Rock, north of Austin - where most of the attacks occurred.

One officer sustained minor injuries in the blast and another is reported to have fired his weapon.

Subscribe to The Week

Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.


Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

Sign up

“The suspect is deceased and has significant injuries from a blast that occurred from detonating a bomb inside his vehicle,” Austin Police Chief Brian Manley told reporters.

Authorities do not know whether Conditt acted alone, and residents have been told to remain vigilant, CNN reports.

The motive for the attacks is also still unclear. “We will have to determine if we see a specific ideology behind this,” Manley said.

Conditt was initially identified by security footage from a FedEx store where a bomb had been shipped, an official told local newspaper the Austin American-Statesman.

See more

He has been linked to five bombings this month that have killed two people and injured several others.

In the first three attacks, parcels containing explosions were left on doorsteps in Austin. On Sunday, two cyclists were hurt in a blast apparently set off by a tripwire across a path in a residential area of the city. A package then detonated at a FedEx Corp facilities in the nearby city of Schertz on Tuesday, Reuters says.

Today President Donald Trump, who called the bomber “a very sick individual”, tweeted his congratulations to law enforcement officers on a “great job”.

See more

Continue reading for free

We hope you're enjoying The Week's refreshingly open-minded journalism.

Subscribed to The Week? Register your account with the same email as your subscription.