Australian firm Optus apologises for ‘Anglo-Saxons preferred’ job ad
Employees union says whites-only listing ‘unbelievable in this day and age’
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Australia’s second-largest telecommunications firm has apologised after one of its stores sent out a job advert seeking “Anglo-Saxon” staff.
The open position as a retail consultant at an Optus mobile phone store in Neutral Bay, “on Sydney's affluent lower north shore”, appeared on recruitment website Seek on Thursday, Perth Now reports.
The listing describes the role as a “fantastic opportunity for those seeking a career in retail and sales”, with “awesome benefits”.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
However, the ad also specifies that the “preffered” [sic] candidate for the post would be “Anglo-Saxon”.
By Friday morning, the ad had been removed - but screenshots of the jaw-dropping specification had already gone viral after being shared by a Twitter user:
Optus, which employs around 8,000 staff, has distanced itself from the ad, which it calls “unacceptable” and “a clear breach” of the company’s advertising and equal opportunity standards.
In a statement on Friday, human resources vice president Vaughan Paul said the company “proudly supports diversity and employs staff representing more than 70 nationalities”.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
“We will be investigating how this occurred with a view to taking disciplinary action against those involved.”
CWU, the union which represents Optus workers, said it was astonished that the “racist” advert had been allowed to go public.
“It's looking to exclude certain individuals from even applying for a job based on their ethnicity,” CWU spokesman Greg Rayner told the ABC.
“It's unbelievable in this day and age that an ad such as this would even see the light of day. It shouldn't be happening, it's ridiculous.”
-
What to know before filing your own taxes for the first timethe explainer Tackle this financial milestone with confidence
-
The biggest box office flops of the 21st centuryin depth Unnecessary remakes and turgid, expensive CGI-fests highlight this list of these most notorious box-office losers
-
The 10 most infamous abductions in modern historyin depth The taking of Savannah Guthrie’s mother, Nancy, is the latest in a long string of high-profile kidnappings
-
Epstein files topple law CEO, roil UK governmentSpeed Read Peter Mandelson, Britain’s former ambassador to the US, is caught up in the scandal
-
Iran and US prepare to meet after skirmishesSpeed Read The incident comes amid heightened tensions in the Middle East
-
Israel retrieves final hostage’s body from GazaSpeed Read The 24-year-old police officer was killed during the initial Hamas attack
-
China’s Xi targets top general in growing purgeSpeed Read Zhang Youxia is being investigated over ‘grave violations’ of the law
-
Panama and Canada are negotiating over a crucial copper mineIn the Spotlight Panama is set to make a final decision on the mine this summer
-
Why Greenland’s natural resources are nearly impossible to mineThe Explainer The country’s natural landscape makes the task extremely difficult
-
Iran cuts internet as protests escalateSpeed Reada Government buildings across the country have been set on fire
-
US nabs ‘shadow’ tanker claimed by RussiaSpeed Read The ship was one of two vessels seized by the US military