Russians blamed for leaking Mueller probe evidence
Material released in an attempt to discredit special counsel’s investigation, say prosecutors
US prosecutors have revealed that evidence gathered by special counsel Robert Mueller’s office was obtained by Russians and leaked online, according to a court filing yesterday.
Mueller’s office says that more than 1,000 files it had given to lawyers for indicted Russian hackers “later appeared to have been uploaded to a filesharing site and promoted by a Twitter account”, The Guardian says.
USA Today says the information that was released had been “altered and disseminated as part of a disinformation campaign”, aimed at discrediting Mueller’s investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
The Twitter account @HackingRedstone, which announced that the content had been released to the public, has since been taken down by the social media platform.
“We’ve got access to the Special Counsel Mueller’s probe database as we hacked Russian server with info from the Russian troll case. You can view all the files Mueller had about the IRA [Russia’s Internet Research Agency] and Russian collusion. Enjoy the reading!” the tweet said.
Mueller’s office confirmed that the file structure and file names were a match to those used by the investigating team.
“FBI investigators had found no evidence that government servers holding the data had been hacked, according to Mueller’s team, pointing instead to a leak on the Russian side,” says The Guardian.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
The Wednesday filing came in response to a request by Russian firm Concord Management & Consulting to “share documents with colleagues in Russia”, while the company fights federal charges, the Wall Street Journal says.
Mueller is prosecuting Concord Management, which is accused of funding hacking operations by the IRA.
Mueller’s office asked the court not to grant the request to share documents, saying it “unreasonably risks the national security interest of the United States”.
It added: “The person who created the webpage used their knowledge of the non-sensitive discovery to make it appear as though the irrelevant files contained on the webpage were the sum total evidence of ‘IRA and Russian collusion’ gathered by law enforcement in this matter in an apparent effort to discredit the investigation.”
-
‘Chess’feature Imperial Theatre, New York City
-
Political cartoons for November 26Cartoons Wednesday's political cartoons include a peace deal for Ukraine, constitutional oaths, and the I.R.S. explained
-
Vaccine critic quietly named CDC’s No. 2 officialSpeed Read Dr. Ralph Abraham joins another prominent vaccine critic, HHS Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
-
Brazil’s Bolsonaro behind bars after appeals run outSpeed Read He will serve 27 years in prison
-
South Africa wraps up G20 summit boycotted by USSpeed Read Trump has been sparring with South Africa in recent months
-
Trump pushes new Ukraine peace planSpeed Read It involves a 28-point plan to end the war
-
Americans traveling abroad face renewed criticism in the Trump eraThe Explainer Some of Trump’s behavior has Americans being questioned
-
Nigeria confused by Trump invasion threatSpeed Read Trump has claimed the country is persecuting Christians
-
Ukraine: Donald Trump pivots againIn the Spotlight US president apparently warned Volodymyr Zelenskyy to accept Vladimir Putin’s terms or face destruction during fractious face-to-face
-
The UK-made Storm Shadow missiles Ukraine is using in RussiaThe Explainer Ukraine reportedly deployed the long-range British missiles this week, following a tense meeting between Zelenskyy and Trump
-
Proposed Trump-Putin talks in Budapest on holdSpeed Read Trump apparently has no concrete plans to meet with Putin for Ukraine peace talks