DeSantis' chief of staff reportedly inquired about postponement of Trump's Sarasota rally
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
After officials from Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis' (R) office surveyed the aftermath of the Champlain Towers South collapse in Surfside, Florida, the governor's chief of staff, Adrian Lukas, reportedly had a phone conversation with Michael Glassner, a longtime aide to former President Donald Trump who was overseeing a rally Trump held in Sarasota, Florida, on Saturday night. Per The New York Times, Lukis asked Glassner if Trump still planned to hold the rally in the wake of the tragedy. Glassner reportedly said there were no plans to reschedule.
There's no indication from the Times' report that the conversation was contentious, but it's not the first rumbling that DeSantis' camp wasn't thrilled about the rally taking the place or that there may be inklings of tension between the allies, who may eventually be competitors in the race for the 2024 GOP presidential nomination. The Washington Examiner reported earlier in the week that DeSantis' office directly asked Trump's team to postpone the event, although DeSantis' press secretary Christina Pushaw said that was not the case.
Trump said he told DeSantis not to come to Sarasota, which is across the state from the Miami area, while his focused remains on Surfside and victims, suggesting that the two were on the same page, but the Times notes Trump did not include DeSantis while thanking Republican leaders in Florida during the rally. Read more at The New York Times.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Tim is a staff writer at The Week and has contributed to Bedford and Bowery and The New York Transatlantic. He is a graduate of Occidental College and NYU's journalism school. Tim enjoys writing about baseball, Europe, and extinct megafauna. He lives in New York City.
-
The Olympic timekeepers keeping the Games on trackUnder the Radar Swiss watchmaking giant Omega has been at the finish line of every Olympic Games for nearly 100 years
-
Will increasing tensions with Iran boil over into war?Today’s Big Question President Donald Trump has recently been threatening the country
-
Corruption: The spy sheikh and the presidentFeature Trump is at the center of another scandal
-
Judge orders Washington slavery exhibit restoredSpeed Read The Trump administration took down displays about slavery at the President’s House Site in Philadelphia
-
Kurt Olsen: Trump’s ‘Stop the Steal’ lawyer playing a major White House roleIn the Spotlight Olsen reportedly has access to significant US intelligence
-
Hyatt chair joins growing list of Epstein files losersSpeed Read Thomas Pritzker stepped down as executive chair of the Hyatt Hotels Corporation over his ties with Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell
-
Judge blocks Hegseth from punishing Kelly over videoSpeed Read Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth pushed for the senator to be demoted over a video in which he reminds military officials they should refuse illegal orders
-
Trump’s EPA kills legal basis for federal climate policySpeed Read The government’s authority to regulate several planet-warming pollutants has been repealed
-
House votes to end Trump’s Canada tariffsSpeed Read Six Republicans joined with Democrats to repeal the president’s tariffs
-
Bondi, Democrats clash over Epstein in hearingSpeed Read Attorney General Pam Bondi ignored survivors of convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and demanded that Democrats apologize to Trump
-
El Paso airspace closure tied to FAA-Pentagon standoffSpeed Read The closure in the Texas border city stemmed from disagreements between the Federal Aviation Administration and Pentagon officials over drone-related tests
