Smart Motorways: a U-turn too late?
Government cancels plans to create more of the controversial highways but existing ones remain

In one of his essays, George Orwell pilloried the use of “political language” – consisting “largely of euphemism, question begging and sheer cloudy vagueness”, said Leo McKinstry in the Daily Express.
A prime modern example of such “linguistic deceit and waffle” is the term “smart motorway”, to describe a road in which the hard shoulder has been turned into a live lane.
‘Active traffic management’
The Government embraced the idea as a means of easing congestion; and traffic planners assured worried motorists that with “active traffic management” – radar-based cameras and electronic signs – they’d be safe if they broke down in “thundering traffic” without access to a dedicated emergency space.
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
But campaigners were never convinced, and now – following a spate of deadly accidents – the Government has finally come to its senses: last week, it decreed that plans for more smart motorways (14 schemes in total) will all be cancelled.
Smart motorways were an “unsafe” idea, delivered with “hubris and denial even after the human cost became evident”, said Oliver Duff in The i Paper. In the five years to 2020, at least 38 people were killed on these “death traps”.
And then there are all the non-fatal accidents, and near misses: any driver who has experienced a tyre blow out at 70mph will shudder to imagine how terrifying that would be on a road where the hard shoulder has become the “default lane for HGVs”. Campaigners are now calling for all existing smart motorways to be scrapped too.
‘Blood on their hands’
The policy dates back to 2006, when Tony Blair’s government was warned that congestion was costing the country £20bn a year, said Tony Diver in The Daily Telegraph – but that widening motorways would cost even more. Smart roads, which could be created for about a tenth of the cost per mile of installing new lanes, seemed a solution. Although they were warned about the risks, later governments pressed ahead – and even eroded the number of pull-in spots, to cut costs further, so that on the newest motorways, these only come every 2.5km.
For years, I have been asking ministers a simple question, said Edmund King, president of the AA, in the same paper. Would they rather break down on a road with a chance of reaching a hard shoulder – or on one where they’d have to pray that they’d be spotted in a live lane; pray that the control centre activates a warning; pray that a Red X comes up; and pray that other drivers heed it?
The terrible irony is that smart motorways don’t even cut congestion, partly because a third of drivers avoid using the inside lane for fear of ploughing into a stationary car. That this policy ever went ahead is a scandal; those involved have “blood on their hands”.
Sign up for Today's Best Articles in your inbox
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
-
'What is this Hungarian model they so admire?'
Instant Opinion 'Opinion, comment and editorials of the day'
By Justin Klawans, The Week US Published
-
Today's political cartoons - April 1, 2025
Cartoons Tuesday's cartoons - trade wars, tax deadlines, and more
By The Week US Published
-
The ETA: how new UK travel rules may affect you
The Explainer Full roll-out of Britain's new travel scheme is designed to be easy, but some have already faced problems
By Rebekah Evans, The Week UK Published
-
Law firms: Caving to White House pressure
Feature Trump targets major law firms tied to his past investigations
By The Week US Published
-
Venezuelan deportees: Locked up for tattoos?
Feature A former pro soccer player was deported after U.S. authorities claimed his tattoo proved he belonged to a Venezuelan gang
By The Week US Published
-
Rule of law: Are we in a constitutional crisis?
Feature Donald Trump defies federal court order to halt deportation flights to El Salvador
By The Week US Published
-
The JFK files: the truth at last?
In The Spotlight More than 64,000 previously classified documents relating the 1963 assassination of John F. Kennedy have been released by the Trump administration
By The Week Staff Published
-
The EPA: Let’s forget about climate change
Feature You’ll miss the EPA when it’s been gutted, said former EPA heads
By The Week US Published
-
Schumer: Did he betray the Democrats?
Feature 'Schumer had only bad political options'
By The Week US Published
-
Trump's TPS takedown
Feature The president plans to deport a million immigrants with protected status. What effects will that have?
By The Week US Published
-
Musk: Is Trump putting him on a leash?
Feature Elon Musk’s aggressive government cuts are facing backlash from Trump’s Cabinet
By The Week US Published