Nepalese official: Up to 15,000 may have died in earthquake

Nepal rescue efforts
(Image credit: David Ramos/Getty Images)

Gen. Gaurav Rana, the army chief leading Nepal's rescue efforts after the weekend's devastating earthquake, told NBC News that the recovery estimates "are not looking good."

Rana believes that between 10,000 and 15,000 people were killed in the 7.8-magnitude quake. So far, 5,800 deaths have been officially reported.

"There is unrest, and we are watching it," Rana told NBC News, referring to the country's public outrage about the slowness of Nepal's recovery efforts. "Yes, there is the threat of an epidemic, and we are watching it." Protesters gathered on Wednesday outside Nepal's parliament, asking the government to improve its search and rescue programs.

The Week

Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

SUBSCRIBE & SAVE
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/flexiimages/jacafc5zvs1692883516.jpg

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

Sign up
Explore More

Meghan DeMaria is a staff writer at TheWeek.com. She has previously worked for USA Today and Marie Claire.