Latest Clinton emails reveal worrisome flip-flop on controversial Colombian trade agreement
The U.S. State Department released its second-to-last batch of Hillary Clinton emails Friday night, 881 of which concern a controversial political flip-flop on a Colombian trade deal. According to International Business Times, Clinton had opposed the trade deal during her 2008 presidential bid, citing concerns about "the history of violence against trade unionists in Colombia." However, the latest emails show Clinton actually lobbying Democratic members of Congress to support the deal.
"I told [Michigan Congressman Sandy Levin] that at the rate we were going, Columbian [sic] workers were going to end up [with] the same or better rights than workers in Wisconsin and Indiana and, maybe even, Michigan," Clinton wrote in an email to U.S. Trade Representative and former Citigroup representative Michael Froman and her aide and former vice chairman of Goldman Sachs Robert Hormats.
Froman responded by thanking Clinton for her "help and support." Hormats replied that Clinton had done a "terrific job" and "GREAT line on Columbian [sic] workers!!!!!"
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Even with Clinton's assurances, there is evidence that violence against workers in Colombia remains a serious problem. "In the four years since the United States and Colombia signed the Labor Action Plan — a precursor to the U.S.-Colombia Free Trade Agreement — to address entrenched labor rights violations, Colombian workers have suffered more than 1,933 threats and acts of violence, including 105 assassinations of union activists and 1,337 death threats," a 2015 AFL-CIO report reads. Labor leaders also contacted the State Department at the time Clinton was head, complaining of the abuse of union activists in Colombia, only to be dismissed and see the trade agreement move forward.
Clinton is under review for using a personal email server while serving as secretary of state. Of the 88 classified emails released Friday night, none had been classified at the time they were sent. The State Department will publish the last of the emails on Monday.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Jeva Lange was the executive editor at TheWeek.com. She formerly served as The Week's deputy editor and culture critic. She is also a contributor to Screen Slate, and her writing has appeared in The New York Daily News, The Awl, Vice, and Gothamist, among other publications. Jeva lives in New York City. Follow her on Twitter.
-
Judge halts Trump’s DC Guard deploymentSpeed Read The Trump administration has ‘infringed upon the District’s right to govern itself,’ the judge ruled
-
Trump accuses Democrats of sedition meriting ‘death’Speed Read The president called for Democratic lawmakers to be arrested for urging the military to refuse illegal orders
-
Court strikes down Texas GOP gerrymanderSpeed Read The Texas congressional map ordered by Trump is likely an illegal racial gerrymander, the court ruled
-
Trump defends Saudi prince, shrugs off Khashoggi murderSpeed Read The president rebuked an ABC News reporter for asking Mohammed bin Salman about the death of a Washington Post journalist at the Saudi Consulate in 2018
-
Congress passes bill to force release of Epstein filesSpeed Read The Justice Department will release all files from its Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking investigation
-
Trump says he will sell F-35 jets to Saudi ArabiaSpeed Read The president plans to make several deals with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman this week
-
Judge blasts ‘profound’ errors in Comey caseSpeed Read ‘Government misconduct’ may necessitate dismissing the charges against the former FBI director altogether
-
Ecuador rejects push to allow US military basesSpeed Read Voters rejected a repeal of a constitutional ban on US and other foreign military bases in the country


