On Friday, Chicago officials released evidence from roughly 100 open investigations into police-involved shootings and uses of force, including dashboard-camera video footage, audio recordings, and police reports. The unprecedented release marks a "seismic shift in Chicago's secrecy," following the 13-month delay last year in releasing footage of the shooting death of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald by Officer Jason Van Dyke, which sparked a public outcry.
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel said the city has decided that releasing police footage is "an important step" toward restoring relations between the city's police and its residents. "While I am pleased that Chicago is taking this important next step in our effort to be more transparent on these issues, we know there is a lot more work to do," Emanuel said in a statement Friday.
Continue reading for free
We hope you're enjoying The Week's refreshingly open-minded journalism.
Subscribed to The Week? Register your account with the same email as your subscription.