1 person shot during second night of protests in Charlotte
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
One person was shot Wednesday during the second night in a row of protests in Charlotte, North Carolina.
The person was originally reported to have died, but the city of Charlotte confirmed that the unidentified victim is on life support and in critical condition. Officials say the shooting was civilian-on-civilian, and that at least one officer has sustained minor injuries and several people have been arrested. The demonstrators are protesting the fatal officer-involved shooting of Keith Lamont Scott, a 43-year-old black man, on Tuesday. Wednesday's protest started peacefully, The Charlotte Observer reports, but it turned chaotic, with a small group of protesters kicking cars and throwing bottles and police officers firing tear gas into the crowd. At one point, reporters were told by police to leave quickly, because explosives had been used and their lives were in danger. Late in the night, Gov. Pat McCrory (R) declared a state of emergency, saying he will deploy the National Guard to assist local police.
Police say that on Tuesday, an officer opened fire after Scott emerged from his car with a gun after being asked to drop the weapon multiple times. Scott's family says he did not have a gun, but rather a book in his hand, and he was waiting for his son to come home from school; police say they seized a handgun from the scene. During protests later that day, one demonstrator and more than a dozen police officers were injured.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
This is a breaking news story, and has been updated throughout.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Catherine Garcia has worked as a senior writer at The Week since 2014. Her writing and reporting have appeared in Entertainment Weekly, The New York Times, Wirecutter, NBC News and "The Book of Jezebel," among others. She's a graduate of the University of Redlands and the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.
-
Are Hollywood ‘showmances’ losing their shine?In The Spotlight Teasing real-life romance between movie leads is an old Tinseltown publicity trick but modern audiences may have had enough
-
A dreamy long weekend on the Amalfi CoastThe Week Recommends History, pasta, scenic views – this sun-drenched stretch of Italy’s southern coast has it all
-
Can foster care overhaul stop ‘exodus’ of carers?Today’s Big Question Government announces plans to modernise ‘broken’ system and recruit more carers, but fostering remains unevenly paid and highly stressful
-
Judge blocks Hegseth from punishing Kelly over videoSpeed Read Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth pushed for the senator to be demoted over a video in which he reminds military officials they should refuse illegal orders
-
Trump’s EPA kills legal basis for federal climate policySpeed Read The government’s authority to regulate several planet-warming pollutants has been repealed
-
House votes to end Trump’s Canada tariffsSpeed Read Six Republicans joined with Democrats to repeal the president’s tariffs
-
Bondi, Democrats clash over Epstein in hearingSpeed Read Attorney General Pam Bondi ignored survivors of convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and demanded that Democrats apologize to Trump
-
El Paso airspace closure tied to FAA-Pentagon standoffSpeed Read The closure in the Texas border city stemmed from disagreements between the Federal Aviation Administration and Pentagon officials over drone-related tests
-
Judge blocks Trump suit for Michigan voter rollsSpeed Read A Trump-appointed federal judge rejected the administration’s demand for voters’ personal data
-
US to send 200 troops to Nigeria to train armySpeed Read Trump has accused the West African government of failing to protect Christians from terrorist attacks
-
Grand jury rejects charging 6 Democrats for ‘orders’ videoSpeed Read The jury refused to indict Democratic lawmakers for a video in which they urged military members to resist illegal orders
