Senate Judiciary Democrats walk out of Kavanaugh meeting to protest the 'tyranny of the majority'
Democrats marched out of a Senate Judiciary Committee meeting in protest Friday, calling the entire process "unfair."
Sens. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.), and Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii) stood up and left the room after Committee Chairman Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) said Christine Blasey Ford did not meet the required "burden of proof" during her testimony Thursday and that Republicans planned to move forward as planned.
Ford testified that Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her when they were in high school in the 1980s, which Kavanaugh strongly refuted in his own testimony. Senate Republicans said that they had given Ford sufficient time and respect, and that they would proceed to vote on Kavanaugh's confirmation.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
When voting on a motion to schedule the confirmation vote for 1:30 p.m. ET, Hirono burst out: "I strongly object. This is just totally ridiculous. What a railroad job. My answer is no, no, no!" Harris, along with Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) remained silent, while Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) called it a "violation" of the committee's customs.
Sen. Chris Coons (D-Del.), upon hearing the news that potential GOP swing vote Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) would support Kavanaugh, reportedly choked up and said, "Oh f--k." Speaking outside the hearing room, Harris condemned Republicans as unjustly pushing through, exploiting the "tyranny of the majority" to confirm Kavanaugh through "raw power." Watch the moment below, via The Daily Beast. Summer Meza
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Summer Meza has worked at The Week since 2018, serving as a staff writer, a news writer and currently the deputy editor. As a proud news generalist, she edits everything from political punditry and science news to personal finance advice and film reviews. Summer has previously written for Newsweek and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, covering national politics, transportation and the cannabis industry.
-
Nigel Farage: was he a teenage racist?Talking Point Farage’s denials have been ‘slippery’, but should claims from Reform leader’s schooldays be on the news agenda?
-
Pushing for peace: is Trump appeasing Moscow?In Depth European leaders succeeded in bringing themselves in from the cold and softening Moscow’s terms, but Kyiv still faces an unenviable choice
-
Crossword: November 29, 2025The daily crossword from The Week
-
Judge halts Trump’s DC Guard deploymentSpeed Read The Trump administration has ‘infringed upon the District’s right to govern itself,’ the judge ruled
-
Trump accuses Democrats of sedition meriting ‘death’Speed Read The president called for Democratic lawmakers to be arrested for urging the military to refuse illegal orders
-
Court strikes down Texas GOP gerrymanderSpeed Read The Texas congressional map ordered by Trump is likely an illegal racial gerrymander, the court ruled
-
Trump defends Saudi prince, shrugs off Khashoggi murderSpeed Read The president rebuked an ABC News reporter for asking Mohammed bin Salman about the death of a Washington Post journalist at the Saudi Consulate in 2018
-
Congress passes bill to force release of Epstein filesSpeed Read The Justice Department will release all files from its Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking investigation
-
Trump says he will sell F-35 jets to Saudi ArabiaSpeed Read The president plans to make several deals with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman this week
-
Judge blasts ‘profound’ errors in Comey caseSpeed Read ‘Government misconduct’ may necessitate dismissing the charges against the former FBI director altogether
-
Ecuador rejects push to allow US military basesSpeed Read Voters rejected a repeal of a constitutional ban on US and other foreign military bases in the country
