Report: Turkey tells U.S. it has audio, video recordings proving missing Saudi journalist was killed
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Turkish security officials have told the United States they have both audio and video recordings that definitively prove missing journalist Jamal Khashoggi was murdered last week inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, U.S. and Turkish officials told The Washington Post on Thursday.
Khashoggi, a columnist for the Post and a U.S. resident, went to the consulate on Oct. 2 to get a document he needed for his wedding, and he hasn't been heard from since. One official told the Post that on the audio recording, "you can hear his voice and the voices of men speaking Arabic," and another said men can be heard beating Khashoggi. After he was killed, Khashoggi was reportedly dismembered. Turkey does not want to release the recordings over fears it would expose how they spy on foreigners in the country, the Post reports.
Saudi Arabia has denied being involved in Khashoggi's disappearance. Prior to his disappearance, the U.S. reportedly intercepted discussions between Saudi officials about Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman ordering an operation to get Khashoggi to return to Saudi Arabia, where he would be detained. Khashoggi had ties to the royal family, and had been critical of the government, but agreed with some of the crown prince's policies. The crown prince is close to President Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner, and while Trump on Thursday called the suspected murder "a terrible thing," he quickly added that the U.S. will not stop selling arms to the Saudis, because "that doesn't help us — not when it comes to jobs and not when it comes to our companies losing out on that work."
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Catherine Garcia has worked as a senior writer at The Week since 2014. Her writing and reporting have appeared in Entertainment Weekly, The New York Times, Wirecutter, NBC News and "The Book of Jezebel," among others. She's a graduate of the University of Redlands and the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.
-
Political cartoons for February 15Cartoons Sunday's political cartoons include political ventriloquism, Europe in the middle, and more
-
The broken water companies failing England and WalesExplainer With rising bills, deteriorating river health and a lack of investment, regulators face an uphill battle to stabilise the industry
-
A thrilling foodie city in northern JapanThe Week Recommends The food scene here is ‘unspoilt’ and ‘fun’
-
Judge blocks Hegseth from punishing Kelly over videoSpeed Read Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth pushed for the senator to be demoted over a video in which he reminds military officials they should refuse illegal orders
-
Trump’s EPA kills legal basis for federal climate policySpeed Read The government’s authority to regulate several planet-warming pollutants has been repealed
-
House votes to end Trump’s Canada tariffsSpeed Read Six Republicans joined with Democrats to repeal the president’s tariffs
-
Bondi, Democrats clash over Epstein in hearingSpeed Read Attorney General Pam Bondi ignored survivors of convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and demanded that Democrats apologize to Trump
-
El Paso airspace closure tied to FAA-Pentagon standoffSpeed Read The closure in the Texas border city stemmed from disagreements between the Federal Aviation Administration and Pentagon officials over drone-related tests
-
Judge blocks Trump suit for Michigan voter rollsSpeed Read A Trump-appointed federal judge rejected the administration’s demand for voters’ personal data
-
US to send 200 troops to Nigeria to train armySpeed Read Trump has accused the West African government of failing to protect Christians from terrorist attacks
-
Grand jury rejects charging 6 Democrats for ‘orders’ videoSpeed Read The jury refused to indict Democratic lawmakers for a video in which they urged military members to resist illegal orders
