14-year-old tells police in Kentucky he's missing boy from Illinois
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Police in suburban Cincinnati are trying to positively identify a 14-year-old boy who says he is Timmothy Pitzen, a boy who vanished from Illinois in 2011.
The teenager told police in Campbell County, Kentucky, that he escaped from a Red Roof Inn in Ohio where he had been staying with two men who kidnapped him seven years ago. The boy "kept running across a bridge" into Kentucky, the incident report states. He described the men as being white with "body-builder like physiques," driving a Ford SUV with Wisconsin plates.
Timmothy Pitzen was only 6 years old when he disappeared from Aurora, Illinois. Police found his mother, Amy Fry-Pitzen, dead in a hotel room, after she took her own life. A few days before she was found, Fry-Pitzen picked her son up from school after his father dropped him off, and they went to a Wisconsin water park and a zoo. In a note, she wrote that her son was fine but would never be found, and police believed she had left him with someone she knew.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Aurora Police Sgt. Bill Rowley said his department has received "thousands of tips" over the years about Timmothy, and they looked for him in Illinois, Wisconsin, and Iowa; Rowley added that he sent two detectives to Cincinnati to see if this is the real Timmothy Pitzen. Timmothy's grandmother, Alana Anderson, told WISN-TV the family is afraid to "get our hopes up. We've had false reports and false hopes before." A DNA test has been conducted.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Catherine Garcia has worked as a senior writer at The Week since 2014. Her writing and reporting have appeared in Entertainment Weekly, The New York Times, Wirecutter, NBC News and "The Book of Jezebel," among others. She's a graduate of the University of Redlands and the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.
-
The Week contest: AI bellyachingPuzzles and Quizzes
-
Political cartoons for February 18Cartoons Wednesday’s political cartoons include the DOW, human replacement, and more
-
The best music tours to book in 2026The Week Recommends Must-see live shows to catch this year from Lily Allen to Florence + The Machine
-
Maxwell pleads 5th, offers Epstein answers for pardonSpeed Read She offered to talk only if she first received a pardon from President Donald Trump
-
Hong Kong jails democracy advocate Jimmy LaiSpeed Read The former media tycoon was sentenced to 20 years in prison
-
Ex-Illinois deputy gets 20 years for Massey murderSpeed Read Sean Grayson was sentenced for the 2024 killing of Sonya Massey
-
Sole suspect in Brown, MIT shootings found deadSpeed Read The mass shooting suspect, a former Brown grad student, died of self-inflicted gunshot wounds
-
France makes first arrests in Louvre jewels heistSpeed Read Two suspects were arrested in connection with the daytime theft of royal jewels from the museum
-
Trump pardons crypto titan who enriched familySpeed Read Binance founder Changpeng Zhao pleaded guilty in 2023 to enabling money laundering while CEO of the cryptocurrency exchange
-
Thieves nab French crown jewels from LouvreSpeed Read A gang of thieves stole 19th century royal jewels from the Paris museum’s Galerie d’Apollon
-
Arsonist who attacked Shapiro gets 25-50 yearsSpeed Read Cody Balmer broke into the Pennsylvania governor’s mansion and tried to burn it down
