Nielsen reportedly pushed back on Trump's demand to bring back family separation policy

President Trump for months has been pushing for his administration to bring back a policy of separating migrant families at the border, NBC News reported on Monday.
This report came following the resignation of Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen on Sunday. Nielsen, NBC reports, had told Trump that DHS could not bring back this controversial practice, citing court orders and the fact that Trump himself signed an executive order ending it. Still, Trump has reportedly been making this demand since January, having grown convinced that the policy is effective.
It's not entirely clear whether this disagreement is what directly led to Nielsen's ouster, although it seems likely it played a role in combination with several other factors, including Trump suddenly rescinding the nomination of Ron Vitiello for director of Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Nielsen, CNN reports, was forced to resign as Senior Adviser Stephen Miller pushes for more resignations at the Department of Homeland Security. Nielsen also found requests from Trump to close ports of entry along the border "ineffective and inappropriate," per The New York Times.
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Kevin McAleenan will now serve as the acting secretary of Homeland Security, and NBC reports that he would consider a new policy under which migrant parents would need to either be separated from their children or bring their children with them into detention. The Washington Post reported in October that this plan was being explored.
Sign up for Today's Best Articles in your inbox
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Brendan worked as a culture writer at The Week from 2018 to 2023, covering the entertainment industry, including film reviews, television recaps, awards season, the box office, major movie franchises and Hollywood gossip. He has written about film and television for outlets including Bloody Disgusting, Showbiz Cheat Sheet, Heavy and The Celebrity Cafe.
-
Scientists invent a solid carbon-negative building material
Under the radar Building CO2 into the buildings
By Devika Rao, The Week US Published
-
Scottish hospitality shines at these 7 hotels
The Week Recommends Sleep well at these lovely inns across Scotland
By Catherine Garcia, The Week US Published
-
Crossword: April 1, 2025
The Week's daily crossword
By The Week Staff Published
-
Trump 'not joking' about unconstitutional 3rd term
Speed Read The president seems to be serious about seeking a third term in 2028
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
The JFK files: the truth at last?
In The Spotlight More than 64,000 previously classified documents relating the 1963 assassination of John F. Kennedy have been released by the Trump administration
By The Week Staff Published
-
Supreme Court upholds 'ghost gun' restrictions
Speed Read Ghost guns can be regulated like other firearms
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Trump sets 25% tariffs on auto imports
Speed Read The White House says the move will increase domestic manufacturing. But the steep import taxes could also harm the US auto industry.
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Trump allies urge White House to admit chat blunder
Speed Read Even pro-Trump figures are criticizing The White House's handling of the Signal scandal
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Waltz takes blame for texts amid calls for Hegseth ouster
Speed Read Democrats are calling for Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and national security adviser Michael Waltz to step down
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Judge: Nazis treated better than Trump deportees
speed read U.S. District Judge James Boasberg reaffirmed his order barring President Donald Trump from deporting alleged Venezuelan gang members
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
US officials share war plans with journalist in group chat
Speed Read Atlantic editor Jeffrey Goldberg was accidentally added to a Signal conversation about striking Yemen
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published