Trump was evidently fully aware he was talking on an open line during sensitive call that Russia likely listened in on
Wednesday's hearing for Gordon Sondland, the U.S. ambassador to the European Union, largely revolved around a key July 26 phone call with President Trump. The call is important for House impeachment investigators because it seemingly links Trump directly to attempts to pressure Ukraine into opening investigations into the Bidens. One member of the Ukrainian diplomat's staff even claims to have overheard the president pushing Sondland for news about "the investigations" on the call, made in a Kyiv restaurant, and that Sondland confirmed that the Ukrainians were ready to "move forward."
But what came out last week was that the phone call between Sondland and Trump — which was already loud enough to be overheard in public — was additionally placed on an unsecure mobile phone. Speaking Wednesday, Sondland admitted another piece of shocking news: That Trump himself knew the conversation about sensitive national security issues was being made on the open line, and proceeded anyway.
Sondland, who was considered a national security risk by former National Security Council aide Fiona Hill due to his penchant for placing calls on vulnerable lines, defended his practice before Congress. "We had sensitive conversations on unsecured lines all the time," he told investigators, pointing out that "the president decides what's classified and not — and he knew I was on an unsecured line." Trump notably ran his 2016 presidential campaign on the assurance of securing national communications, frequently blasting his opponent, Hillary Clinton, over her use of an unsecure email server.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
The admission that the president himself was aware of the security risk, and fine with it, is also surprising in light of the fact that former officials told CNN last week that there was "a high probability that intelligence agencies from numerous foreign countries, including Russia, were listening in on the conversation."
"Why a president is talking to an ambassador on a non-encrypted telephone is crazy for today's age, and worse in public," said former FBI official Todd Carroll.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Jeva Lange was the executive editor at TheWeek.com. She formerly served as The Week's deputy editor and culture critic. She is also a contributor to Screen Slate, and her writing has appeared in The New York Daily News, The Awl, Vice, and Gothamist, among other publications. Jeva lives in New York City. Follow her on Twitter.
-
Political cartoons for November 30Cartoons Sunday's political cartoons include the Saudi-China relationship, MAGA spelled wrong, and more
-
Rothermere’s Telegraph takeover: ‘a right-leaning media powerhouse’Talking Point Deal gives Daily Mail and General Trust more than 50% of circulation in the UK newspaper market
-
The US-Saudi relationship: too big to fail?Talking Point With the Saudis investing $1 trillion into the US, and Trump granting them ‘major non-Nato ally’ status, for now the two countries need each other
-
Judge halts Trump’s DC Guard deploymentSpeed Read The Trump administration has ‘infringed upon the District’s right to govern itself,’ the judge ruled
-
Trump accuses Democrats of sedition meriting ‘death’Speed Read The president called for Democratic lawmakers to be arrested for urging the military to refuse illegal orders
-
Court strikes down Texas GOP gerrymanderSpeed Read The Texas congressional map ordered by Trump is likely an illegal racial gerrymander, the court ruled
-
Trump defends Saudi prince, shrugs off Khashoggi murderSpeed Read The president rebuked an ABC News reporter for asking Mohammed bin Salman about the death of a Washington Post journalist at the Saudi Consulate in 2018
-
Congress passes bill to force release of Epstein filesSpeed Read The Justice Department will release all files from its Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking investigation
-
Trump says he will sell F-35 jets to Saudi ArabiaSpeed Read The president plans to make several deals with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman this week
-
Judge blasts ‘profound’ errors in Comey caseSpeed Read ‘Government misconduct’ may necessitate dismissing the charges against the former FBI director altogether
-
Ecuador rejects push to allow US military basesSpeed Read Voters rejected a repeal of a constitutional ban on US and other foreign military bases in the country
