Speed Reads

Get Well Soon

Prince Philip hospitalized 'after feeling unwell,' reportedly not COVID-19 related

The U.K.'s Prince Philip has been hospitalized in London after "feeling unwell."

The 99-year-old Duke of Edinburgh and husband of Queen Elizabeth II was admitted to London's King Edward VII Hospital on Tuesday evening, Buckingham Palace announced.

"The Duke's admission is a precautionary measure, on the advice of His Royal Highness's doctor, after feeling unwell," a statement said.

Prince Philip was previously hospitalized in December 2019, which Buckingham Palace said was to treat a pre-existing condition, and he was admitted to the hospital due to a blocked coronary artery in 2011 and for a hip replacement in 2018, The Associated Press notes. He was also hospitalized with an infection in 2017.

Though Buckingham Palace didn't provide further details regarding the Duke of Edinburgh's illness, CNN reports that it's not related to COVID-19; Prince Philip and the queen received COVID-19 vaccine doses last month. Additionally, CNN reports the Duke "traveled to the hospital by car and it was not an emergency admission," and he "walked into the hospital unaided."