New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) on Sunday night responded to a new allegation of sexual harassment made against him by a former aide, saying he now understands "that my interactions may have been insensitive or too personal and that some of my comments, given my position, made others feel ways I never intended."
Charlotte Bennett, 25, told The New York Times that while serving as a senior briefer and executive assistant to Cuomo in 2019 and 2020, he asked her if she is monogamous and if she had ever slept with older men. At the time, Bennett said, Cuomo was saying he was lonely and wanted a girlfriend, and she felt he was "absolutely" making sexual overtures toward her.
In a statement, Cuomo, 63, said he would sometimes tease people "about their personal lives and relationships," but he "never intended to offend anyone or cause any harm." His remarks to Bennett could "have been misinterpreted as an unwanted flirtation," he added. "To the extend anyone felt that way, I am truly sorry about that."
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Last week, another former aide, Lindsey Boylan, accused Cuomo of harassing her on multiple occasions over the course of two years. Cuomo has called for an independent investigation into his behavior, and said he will grant subpoena power to an outside investigator designated by New York Attorney General Letitia James. Several politicians on both sides of the aisle have also said they would like to see an investigation, including Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.).
Continue reading for free
We hope you're enjoying The Week's refreshingly open-minded journalism.
Subscribed to The Week? Register your account with the same email as your subscription.