The video: GOP presidential candidate Michele Bachmann is surging in the polls — and attracting the added scrutiny that comes with a higher profile. On Monday night, ABC News investigated the Christian counseling center owned by the Minnesota congresswoman and her husband, Dr. Marcus Bachmann (view clip below). Though the Bachmanns have denied allegations that the center uses faith-based therapy in an effort to convert gay men into heterosexuals, ABC News offered up undercover footage of a counseling session, filmed by gay-advocacy group Truth Wins Out with a hidden camera, that involves the controversial practice (the therapist tells his gay-identifying client, among other things, that God "designed" men's eyes to be attracted to women's breasts).
The reaction: Reports about the Bachmanns "curing" homosexuals at the clinic have been floating around for years, but they "went mainstream" last night, says Maggie Haberman at Politico. While I'm glad this information is getting out there, and the report "raises serious questions about Bachmann as a credible mainstream candidate," says David Zurawik in The Baltimore Sun, "I also have to express some concern about video shot with a hidden camera by someone not working for and bound by the rules of ABC News." The only question is how much ABC paid for this tape, says Rick at Wizbang. This is a "sorry excuse" for journalism, and it just shows that ABC News is anything but objective and unbiased. Watch the ABC News report, below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
Subscribe to the Week