harli XCX is poised on the precipice of superstardom.
While you may not have heard her name before, you've likely already heard one of the 21-year-old Brit's songs: Charli wrote and was featured on Icona Pop's celebratory, chart-topping single "I Love It," which went on to be prominently featured on shows like Girls, The Vampire Diaries, and Glee. But Charli (née Charlotte Aitchison) isn't content with staying behind the scenes. This April, she made her major-label debut on Atlantic with True Romance, an exciting mix of darkly dreamy pop songs heavily influenced by everything from the Spice Girls to the East London rave scene she grew up performing in. While Charli continues her expansive tour of North America and England, The Week caught up with her via email to talk about her musical influences. Here, five of her favorites:
1. PM Dawn and Spandeau Ballet, "Set Adrift on Memory Bliss"
"This is one of my favorite songs of all time. The raps on this record are amazing. When I listen to this I always feel like I'm floating away into a dream."
2. Uffie, "Ricky"
"Uffie was one if my first musical loves. I discovered her when I was about 14 and fell in love with her sound. This song is my favorite from her record Sex Dreams and Denim Jeans."
3. Bow Wow Wow, "Fools Rush In"
"My favorite pop songs are the ones that can make me cry. I think this song is so beautiful. I've been listening to a lot of Bow Wow Wow lately. All of the songs are amazing."
4. The Cure, "Just Like Heaven"
"This is one of my favorite songs by the Cure."
5. Serge Gainsbourg, "Initials BB"
"I'm starting to write my second record and am becoming really inspired by French pop music. This is currently my favorite Serge Gainsbourg song, but I kind of change my mind every minute about that."
True Romance is out now on Atlantic.
(This interview was condensed and edited by Samantha Rollins.)
Watch the video for "Superlove" below:
More in this series...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- 10 things you need to know today: April 17, 2014
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
Subscribe to the Week