Last Sunday, Miss New York Nina Davuluri was crowned Miss America. On Thursday's Daily Show — better late than never — Jon Stewart gave a nod of approval for the first Indian-American woman to win America's premier beauty pageant.
Stewart rolled his eyes at the stupid sniping aimed at Davuluri, but correspondent Aasif Mandvi — in a segment called "Back in Brown" (a takeoff on the recurring Lewis Black bit "Back in Black") — waved away the Twitter haters. Mandvi is mostly excited about this new benchmark in his fellow Indian-Americans' conquest of America. He gleefully pointed out that along with Davuluri, the reigning spelling-bee champ is Indian-American — and he won with a Yiddish word.
Mandvi's routine is a panoply of Indian-American jokes ("wake up and smell the curry, Jon"; "if you like it, then you should have arranged a marriage with it") mixed in with a triumphant proclamation of Indian-American conquest. His proof involves Indian-Americans selling the rest of the country junk food at convenience stores, then churning out doctors to help treat the resulting diabetes epidemic.
"You took this country away from the Indians," Mandvi crowed, "and now a different group of Indians is taking it back."
Earlier in the show, Stewart took a look at the conservative efforts to undermine ObamaCare, and the loopholes businesses are using to get around the law:
For the fun of it, Stewart brought on "senior deranged millionaire" John Hodgman to explain how his company, HodgeCo, gets around not only ObamaCare regulations, but also mandatory weekend pay and child labor laws. It is John Hodgman, so it is funny. Watch:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- 10 innovative furniture designs that brilliantly save you space
- Christian conservatives have a terrifying new bogeyman: The Christian leftist
- 10 things you need to know today: September 30, 2014
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
Subscribe to the Week