- Watch this April 8
If you were worried about the largely unknown dangers brought on by smoking electronic cigarettes, this certainly isn't going to help. Closed circuit video from Britain has emerged of an e-cig exploding into a teenager's face, causing minor burns. Laura Baty, 18, was lucky enough to escape major injuries after an e-cig exploded while she was working at a pub.
"I was about to give somebody their change and I heard the bang," Baty told the York Press, adding that the sound reminded her of a fuse box exploding. "I could see the fire coming at me and I felt the heat as I ran away."
Footage from the incident shows the e-cig exploding as Baty was tending to a customer at her pub Saturday. The device, which belongs to one of her coworkers, was routinely left on the iPad charger without any prior accidents.
"I started crying hysterically and my arm was all black," she said. "My dress caught on fire as I ran away and I just didn't know what was happening." Baty suffered burns on her arms. The e-cig, meanwhile, eventually burnt itself out on the floor. --Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- Hey, scolds: Stop telling us to enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- The slippery slope of Twitter's attempts to stop harassment against women
Subscribe to the Week