- This just in May 12
A video of about 130 of the girls kidnapped from a Nigerian school last month was released today by Islamist militant group Boko Haram. The clip, which was first obtained by AFP, shows Boko Haram's leader Abubakar Shekau brandishing an automatic rifle and calling for the release of his imprisoned comrades in exchange for the girls. "We will never release them until our brethren are released," he says, suggesting he would be open to a deal for the girls' release.
The 17-minute video also included a portion where the girls are seen in an outdoor area chanting verses from the Koran in unison. Shekau claimed the teenagers had converted to Islam and had not been harmed.
There is no indication of when or where the video was recorded, notes BBC News.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- A scientific fact-check of 2001: A Space Odyssey
Subscribe to the Week