- This just in May 12
A video of about 130 of the girls kidnapped from a Nigerian school last month was released today by Islamist militant group Boko Haram. The clip, which was first obtained by AFP, shows Boko Haram's leader Abubakar Shekau brandishing an automatic rifle and calling for the release of his imprisoned comrades in exchange for the girls. "We will never release them until our brethren are released," he says, suggesting he would be open to a deal for the girls' release.
The 17-minute video also included a portion where the girls are seen in an outdoor area chanting verses from the Koran in unison. Shekau claimed the teenagers had converted to Islam and had not been harmed.
There is no indication of when or where the video was recorded, notes BBC News.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to survive a spaceship disaster
- How to be charismatic, according to science
Subscribe to the Week