Seth Meyers says Trump's Twitter feuds are really just distractions
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Seth Meyers isn't saying you shouldn't shake your head or laugh uncontrollably at Donald Trump's one-sided Twitter fight with a Broadway show, but he does want to make sure you know it's all a distraction from something much bigger.
On Monday's Late Night, Meyers recapped Vice President-elect Mike Pence being booed by audience members at a Hamilton performance last week, the show's cast urging Pence to "work on behalf of all of us," Trump's over-the-top reaction to it all ("Apologize!"), and Pence's calm and reasonable response ("this is what freedom sounds like"). Booing politicians is as American as apple pie or not electing the person who received the popular vote, Meyers said, and Trump is really just trying to deflect from something that will one day be featured in the Trump-based musical, "Scamilton."
On Friday, Trump's lawyers reached a deal to settle fraud cases against Trump University for $25 million. The lawsuits alleged that Trump U sales teams prodded students, even those who did not have much money, to sign up for more classes, and that they did not receive any of the useful tips and secrets they were promised. Meyers also touched on conflicts of interest stemming from Trump's businesses and his children being involved in both the family organization and their father's transition team, in addition to diplomats being pressured to stay at Trump's hotel in Washington, D.C. "A common criticism of the Clintons was how they enriched themselves financially after leaving office," Meyers said. "Well, Trump is proving once again he is the anti-Clinton by enriching himself before he takes office." Watch the video below. Catherine Garcia
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Catherine Garcia has worked as a senior writer at The Week since 2014. Her writing and reporting have appeared in Entertainment Weekly, The New York Times, Wirecutter, NBC News and "The Book of Jezebel," among others. She's a graduate of the University of Redlands and the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.
-
What to know before filing your own taxes for the first timethe explainer Tackle this financial milestone with confidence
-
The biggest box office flops of the 21st centuryin depth Unnecessary remakes and turgid, expensive CGI-fests highlight this list of these most notorious box-office losers
-
The 10 most infamous abductions in modern historyin depth The taking of Savannah Guthrie’s mother, Nancy, is the latest in a long string of high-profile kidnappings
-
Judge blocks Hegseth from punishing Kelly over videoSpeed Read Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth pushed for the senator to be demoted over a video in which he reminds military officials they should refuse illegal orders
-
Trump’s EPA kills legal basis for federal climate policySpeed Read The government’s authority to regulate several planet-warming pollutants has been repealed
-
House votes to end Trump’s Canada tariffsSpeed Read Six Republicans joined with Democrats to repeal the president’s tariffs
-
Bondi, Democrats clash over Epstein in hearingSpeed Read Attorney General Pam Bondi ignored survivors of convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and demanded that Democrats apologize to Trump
-
El Paso airspace closure tied to FAA-Pentagon standoffSpeed Read The closure in the Texas border city stemmed from disagreements between the Federal Aviation Administration and Pentagon officials over drone-related tests
-
Judge blocks Trump suit for Michigan voter rollsSpeed Read A Trump-appointed federal judge rejected the administration’s demand for voters’ personal data
-
US to send 200 troops to Nigeria to train armySpeed Read Trump has accused the West African government of failing to protect Christians from terrorist attacks
-
Grand jury rejects charging 6 Democrats for ‘orders’ videoSpeed Read The jury refused to indict Democratic lawmakers for a video in which they urged military members to resist illegal orders
