- You can't buy publicity like this June 26
North Korea is fiercely denouncing the upcoming Seth Rogen and James Franco movie, The Interview, in which the two actors play a pair of talk-show hosts who get sent on a secret mission to assassinate the country's dictator, Kim Jong-un. On Wednesday, the totalitarian regime's Foreign Ministry issued a sharply worded attack on the film — albeit one that was written in a somewhat broken English — making the accusation that the movie is a plot by the U.S. government.
"The U.S. has gone reckless in such provocative hysteria as bribing a rogue movie maker to dare hurt the dignity of the supreme leadership of the DPRK," said the statement, issued through the official state-run Korean Central News Agency. "This act of not fearing any punishment from Heaven is touching off the towering hatred and wrath of the service personnel and people of the DPRK."
The statement went on to call the movie itself an act of war: "Absolutely intolerable is the distribution of such film in the U.S. as it is the most undisguised terrorism and a war action to deprive the service personnel and people of the DPRK of their mental mainstay and bring down its social system."
It concluded with a grim ultimatum:
Those who defamed our supreme leadership and committed the hostile acts against the DPRK can never escape the stern punishment to be meted out according to a law wherever they might be in the world. If the U.S. administration connives at and patronizes the screening of the film, it will invite a strong and merciless countermeasure. [KCNA]
- - Eric Kleefeld
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week