Jihadi Jack's parents charged with terrorism offences

Parents of IS suspect, Jack Letts, accused of making money available for terrorism

Jack Letts
Facebook photo of Jack Letts near Raqqa, the Islamic State's stronghold in Syria
(Image credit: Facebook)

The parents of a British man accused of joining Islamic State have been charged with terrorism offences.

Jack Letts, 20, known as "Jihadi Jack", is suspected of being the first white Briton to join the terrorist group in Syria, after leaving the UK aged 18.

The Week

Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

SUBSCRIBE & SAVE
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/flexiimages/jacafc5zvs1692883516.jpg

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

Sign up

John Letts, 55, is charged with three counts of entering into or becoming concerned in an arrangement to make money, knowing or having reasonable cause to suspect that it may be used for a terrorist purpose.

His 53-year-old wife was charged with the same three counts and two additional counts of attempting to provide money, knowing or having reasonable cause to suspect that it may be used for a terrorist purpose.

The couple, who have strongly denied their son has any links with IS, have both been bailed to appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court on 9 June.

They were previously arrested in February, after trying to send their son money to buy a pair of glasses. Speaking of that arrest, they told Channel 4 News their treatment had been "crazy".

John Letts said: "We don't know exactly where he is. If you know he's in danger or can't see straight, what parent isn't going to try get their child a pair of glasses if he can't see straight.

"I'm furious really. I'm very upset. I think it's crazy that we can't send a penny to our ill son to help him get out or to help him in any way because we'll be seen as supporting terrorism."

'Jihadi Jack': who is Jack Letts and why is he in Syria?

26 January

The British man dubbed "Jihadi Jack" has angrily dismissed claims he has joined Islamic State.

Jack Letts insists he is on a humanitarian mission in Syria and criticised the press for peddling "lies" about him because of his Muslim faith. His family has also described the allegation that he had joined the terrorist group as "absolutely ridiculous".

Who is Jack Letts?

The 20-year old Muslim convert left his home in Oxford and travelled to Syria two years ago, after reportedly telling his parents he was moving to Kuwait to study Arabic.

Former classmates describe him as politically engaged and it is thought he began to take an interest in the Middle East during the Arab Spring in 2011, the The Independent reports. Letts was also known as the class clown and a keen sportsman and Liverpool FC fan.

"Jack was a popular schoolboy - he is known as funny, energetic and loud, always surrounded by a large group of friends," one friend told the newspaper. "He was well known by his teachers and fellow pupils as an outspoken and politically active student."

Why was he dubbed Jihadi Jack?

It was widely reported that Letts was the first white British male to have joined IS and that he had married a woman from the Iraqi city of Fallujah shortly after arriving in Syria.

"A family friend said that before leaving Britain, Letts had spoken of wanting to live under sharia, or Islamic law," said the Sunday Times. "A source said he tried to convince his family and friends to become Muslims, warning them they would go to hell unless they converted."

How did Letts and his family respond?

In Facebook messages seen by the Independent, Letts mocked the British press for suggesting he had joined the terrorist group. "The formula with the media is simple: English guy became muslim + went to the middle east + followed islam = ISIS + eats babies x evil," he wrote.

His parents insist there is no evidence Letts has done anything wrong and say they are in regular contact with their son. "We spoke to him yesterday and he said he had never had a weapon in his life," his mother told the London Evening Standard. "He went out there for humanitarian purposes to help kids in Syrian refugee camps."

Explore More