Four killed on Dreamworld theme park ride in Australia
Engineers worked on Thunder River Rapids ride before fatal Gold Coast accident
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Four people have been killed in an accident at an Australian theme park, hours after engineers worked on the ride in question.
The accident happened on the Thunder River Rapids at Dreamworld, one of the most popular family holiday destinations on Queensland's Gold Coast.
A Queensland Ambulance spokesman said two people were thrown from the ride, and another two were "caught inside", trapped underneath in the conveyor belt.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
The BBC says the casualties were two men and two women. The park, which is in Coomera, has been closed until further notice and an investigation is underway by a health and safety agency and the police.
The Thunder River Rapids has been in existence for 34 years and is a "staple" for families visiting the park, says The Guardian. It is classified as "family friendly" and involves floating down a river with artificial rapids.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, there was a problem with the ride several hours before one part of it flipped over in the fatal crash. Witnesses said they had waited for 30 minutes while engineers worked on it that morning.
One person told Nine News: "We were waiting there for about half an hour and the engineers had to come. They drained all the water out and then had to refill it back up.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
"Then we were allowed to go. We were stuck there for about 30, 40 minutes at least."
Another visitor, Lisa Walker, said: "Earlier in the day it had broken down. It had broken down and we went back a couple of times to this particular ride.
"We were standing on the bridge watching and the water had stopped. There were no rapids."
The park is operated by Ardent Theme Parks, which said it was "deeply shocked and saddened by the accident". The company's stock fell by as much as eight per cent on Tuesday after the news broke.
-
6 exquisite homes with vast acreageFeature Featuring an off-the-grid contemporary home in New Mexico and lakefront farmhouse in Massachusetts
-
Film reviews: ‘Wuthering Heights,’ ‘Good Luck, Have Fun, Don’t Die,’ and ‘Sirat’Feature An inconvenient love torments a would-be couple, a gonzo time traveler seeks to save humanity from AI, and a father’s desperate search goes deeply sideways
-
Political cartoons for February 16Cartoons Monday’s political cartoons include President's Day, a valentine from the Epstein files, and more
-
Epstein files topple law CEO, roil UK governmentSpeed Read Peter Mandelson, Britain’s former ambassador to the US, is caught up in the scandal
-
Iran and US prepare to meet after skirmishesSpeed Read The incident comes amid heightened tensions in the Middle East
-
Israel retrieves final hostage’s body from GazaSpeed Read The 24-year-old police officer was killed during the initial Hamas attack
-
China’s Xi targets top general in growing purgeSpeed Read Zhang Youxia is being investigated over ‘grave violations’ of the law
-
Panama and Canada are negotiating over a crucial copper mineIn the Spotlight Panama is set to make a final decision on the mine this summer
-
Why Greenland’s natural resources are nearly impossible to mineThe Explainer The country’s natural landscape makes the task extremely difficult
-
Iran cuts internet as protests escalateSpeed Reada Government buildings across the country have been set on fire
-
US nabs ‘shadow’ tanker claimed by RussiaSpeed Read The ship was one of two vessels seized by the US military