Islamic State 'suicide bomber' identified as Brit paid £1m by government
Family identify Jamal al-Harith from Manchester as man said to be responsible for attack on military base in Iraq
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
An Islamic State recruit who reportedly carried out a suicide bombing mission on a military base in Iraq on Monday has been identified as a British former Guantanamo Bay detainee paid £1m in compensation by the UK government.
Militants released an image of a man smiling in a 4x4 packed with explosives, which they said he ploughed into Shia militia and units from the Iraqi army's Ninth Division outside Mosul.
While their claims have not been verified, the man in the photograph has been identified by his family as 50-year-old Jamal al-Harith from Manchester.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
His brother, Leon Jameson, told The Times: "It is him, I can tell by his smile. If it is true then I've lost a brother."
Harith, who was born Ronald Fiddler, converted to Islam in the 1990s and was found in a Taliban prison in Afghanistan in 2001. He was among five British men detained at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba by US officials in 2002. "At one point he was accused of links to Osama bin Laden, the leader of al-Qaeda," says The Times.
He was released in 2004 and claimed compensation after saying British agents knew or were complicit in his mistreatment.
When the five men returned to the UK, David Blunkett, then home secretary, said: "No one who is returned… will actually be a threat to the security of the British people."
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Harith is believed to have travelled to Syria in 2014, followed by his wife, Shukee Begum, and her five children.
Speaking to Channel 4 News last year, Begum said she had wanted Harith to meet his youngest child. "I wanted to know if he had a place in my children's futures," she said. "I was seeing on the news that things were going from bad to worse and I wanted to talk some sense into him."
-
Political cartoons for February 15Cartoons Sunday's political cartoons include political ventriloquism, Europe in the middle, and more
-
The broken water companies failing England and WalesExplainer With rising bills, deteriorating river health and a lack of investment, regulators face an uphill battle to stabilise the industry
-
A thrilling foodie city in northern JapanThe Week Recommends The food scene here is ‘unspoilt’ and ‘fun’
-
Epstein files topple law CEO, roil UK governmentSpeed Read Peter Mandelson, Britain’s former ambassador to the US, is caught up in the scandal
-
Iran and US prepare to meet after skirmishesSpeed Read The incident comes amid heightened tensions in the Middle East
-
Israel retrieves final hostage’s body from GazaSpeed Read The 24-year-old police officer was killed during the initial Hamas attack
-
China’s Xi targets top general in growing purgeSpeed Read Zhang Youxia is being investigated over ‘grave violations’ of the law
-
Panama and Canada are negotiating over a crucial copper mineIn the Spotlight Panama is set to make a final decision on the mine this summer
-
Why Greenland’s natural resources are nearly impossible to mineThe Explainer The country’s natural landscape makes the task extremely difficult
-
Iran cuts internet as protests escalateSpeed Reada Government buildings across the country have been set on fire
-
US nabs ‘shadow’ tanker claimed by RussiaSpeed Read The ship was one of two vessels seized by the US military