Turkey’s Erdogan begins new term with purge of 18,600 civil servants
Controversial leader acquires more power under new executive presidential system
Recep Tayyip Erdogan takes office today as Turkey’s executive president with vastly expanded powers as more than 18,600 people are purged from government jobs.
Erdogan will take his oath in the Turkish parliament, followed by a lavish ceremony at his nearby palace in Ankara. His inauguration officially ushers in a new executive presidency, which replaces a parliamentary system in which the prime minister and government held most power, reports Reuters.
The post of prime minister will be scrapped and the president will have the power to choose his own cabinet, chair its meetings, form and regulate ministries and remove civil servants, all without parliamentary approval.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
The dismissed state employees include 9,000 police personnel and more than 6,000 officers from the country’s armed services. Three newspapers, one TV channel and 12 associations have also been shut down, amid claims that they posed a security risk to the state, reports Bloomberg.
The government has been issuing decrees, bypassing parliament, since a state of emergency was imposed in the wake of an attempted military coup in July 2016. Erdogan promised to lift the state of emergency rule following last month’s election, in which he was re-elected with 53% of the vote.
However, his new powers enable him to “issue decrees with the force of law” and he “can still declare a similar state of emergency giving authorities powers to restrict basic rights and freedoms when deemed necessary”, says Bloomberg.
“The recent purge is a further consolidation of the grip on power that Erdogan has been working on particularly since the attempted coup,” said Ghanem Nuseibeh, founder of London-based political risk consultants Cornerstone Global Associates. “The purge is surprising in its magnitude and many will accuse Erdogan of going after anyone who opposes him.”
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
The government says that the sacked civil servants are followers of US-based Turkish preacher Fethullah Gulen, whom it accuses of masterminding the coup. He denies the charge.
-
Rothermere’s Telegraph takeover: ‘a right-leaning media powerhouse’Talking Point Deal gives Daily Mail and General Trust more than 50% of circulation in the UK newspaper market
-
The US-Saudi relationship: too big to fail?Talking Point With the Saudis investing $1 trillion into the US, and Trump granting them ‘major non-Nato ally’ status, for now the two countries need each other
-
Sudoku medium: November 30, 2025The daily medium sudoku puzzle from The Week
-
Femicide: Italy’s newest crimeThe Explainer Landmark law to criminalise murder of a woman as an ‘act of hatred’ or ‘subjugation’ but critics say Italy is still deeply patriarchal
-
Brazil’s Bolsonaro behind bars after appeals run outSpeed Read He will serve 27 years in prison
-
Americans traveling abroad face renewed criticism in the Trump eraThe Explainer Some of Trump’s behavior has Americans being questioned
-
Nigeria confused by Trump invasion threatSpeed Read Trump has claimed the country is persecuting Christians
-
Sanae Takaichi: Japan’s Iron Lady set to be the country’s first woman prime ministerIn the Spotlight Takaichi is a member of Japan’s conservative, nationalist Liberal Democratic Party
-
Russia is ‘helping China’ prepare for an invasion of TaiwanIn the Spotlight Russia is reportedly allowing China access to military training
-
Interpol arrests hundreds in Africa-wide sextortion crackdownIN THE SPOTLIGHT A series of stings disrupts major cybercrime operations as law enforcement estimates millions in losses from schemes designed to prey on lonely users
-
China is silently expanding its influence in American citiesUnder the Radar New York City and San Francisco, among others, have reportedly been targeted