Trump Foundation forced to close down
Family-run charity set to close amid of allegations of fraud

Donald Trump’s family-run charity has agreed to be shut down, following allegations that the US president and others misused its funds.
The Attorney General of New York State, Barbara Underwood, announced that the Trump Foundation would be closing, and accused Trump and his three eldest children of using the foundation and its funds for “private and political gain”, the BBC says.
The New York Times says Underwood accused the foundation of “functioning as little more than a chequebook to serve Mr. Trump’s business and political interests,” and of engaging in “a shocking pattern of illegality”, including coordinating with Trump’s successful presidential campaign.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
CBS News reports that the foundation allegedly “raised money at a nationally televised fundraiser in January 2016, then allowed Trump campaign staffers to [illegally] dictate how the money was spent in grants”.
Despite closing down the foundation, the case against the US president and his children Donald Jr, Ivanka and Eric would continue, prosecutors say.
If successful, Donald Trump and his three eldest children would be banned from the boards of other New York charities, as well as forced to make payments of at least £2.2 million in restitution and penalties.
The Trump foundation is to be wound up under the supervision of the New York Attorney General’s office, which will oversee the process, including to which charities the foundation’s remaining assets will be distributed.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
A lawyer for the Trump Foundation, Alan Futerfas, issued a statement criticising Underwood for attempting to “politicise” the issue, while claiming that the foundation had been seeking to close down itself since Trump’s election in 2016.
-
August 30 editorial cartoons
Cartoons Saturday’s political cartoons include Volodymyr Zelenskyy and Donald Trump's role reversal and King George III
-
5 bullseye cartoons about the reasons for mass shootings
Cartoons Artists take on gun worship, a price paid, and more
-
Lisa Cook and Trump's battle for control the US Fed
Talking Point The president's attempts to fire one of the Federal Reserve's seven governor is represents 'a stunning escalation' of his attacks on the US central bank
-
Lisa Cook and Trump's battle for control the US Fed
Talking Point The president's attempts to fire one of the Federal Reserve's seven governor is represents 'a stunning escalation' of his attacks on the US central bank
-
Why is Trump suddenly interested in his enemies' mortgages?
TODAY'S BIG QUESTION As the president continues targeting adversaries, he's turned to a surprising ally to provide ammunition for an emerging line of attack
-
'A symbol of the faceless corporate desire'
Instant Opinion Opinion, comment and editorials of the day
-
Truck drivers are questioning the Trump administration's English mandate
Talking Points Some have praised the rules, others are concerned they could lead to profiling
-
DC prosecutors lose bid to indict sandwich thrower
Speed Read Prosecutors sought to charge Sean Dunn with assaulting a federal officer
-
Trump soaks up adoration in his made-for-TV Cabinet meetings
IN THE SPOTLIGHT The president's televised sessions have become a platform for his top lieutenants to demonstrate executive flattery
-
Court rejects Trump suit against Maryland US judges
Speed Read Judge Thomas Cullen, a Trump appointee, said the executive branch had no authority to sue the judges
-
Can anyone save Jimmy Lai?
Today's Big Question 'Britain's shameful inaction' will mean it's partly 'responsible' if Hong Kong businessman dies in prison