1. Scottsdale, Ariz. This unique sustainable residence is composed of five steel, glass, and concrete pods that are linked by an outdoor canopy of solar panels and grapevines. Set at the foot of boulder-strewn Troon Mountain, the home is integrated with its landscape and features limestone floors, walnut cabinetry, extensive outdoor living spaces, and a pool with mountain views and a waterfall. $2,000,000. Frank Aazami, Russ Lyon Sotheby’s International Realty, (480) 266-0240
2. Los Angeles This three-bedroom house, designed by award-winning architect Jason Pettinato, sits atop the Hollywood Hills, offering city-to-ocean views. Floor-to-ceiling glass panels on both corners of the elevated great room slide into adjoining walls to open the room completely to the pool and outdoor breezes. $3,350,000. Barry Peele, Sotheby’s International Realty, (310) 278-0962
3. Victor, Mont. Elk Pond Ranch is nestled in the foothills of the Bitterroot Range and has sweeping views of the Rockies. Elk graze the 21-acre property surrounding the five-bedroom open-plan log house, which features a two-story stone fireplace and extensive exterior decking. $1,289,500. Catherine Lindbeck, Prudential Montana Real Estate, (406) 360-0117
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
4. Aspen, Colo. This five-bedroom house is located within walking distance of both downtown Aspen and the Rio Grande Trail. In its two-story great room, floor-to-ceiling windows maximize views of the Elk Mountain range. A caretaker’s apartment is located above the garage. $6,995,000. Steven Shane, SDS Real Estate, (970) 925-6063
5. Santa Fe This six-bedroom adobe home offers dramatic views of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. It is surrounded by gardens and includes numerous patios, seven fireplaces, and traditional viga-and-latilla ceilings. $2,250,000. Chris Webster, Sotheby’s International Realty, (505) 780-9500
6. Windham, N.Y. This secluded estate offers the feel of a Western ranch just a few hours from Manhattan. The five-bedroom residence features log walls and a cathedral-style great room. The property has two ponds and extensive hiking trails. $5,900,000. Evan Spero, Sotheby’s International Realty, (518) 580-8500
Steal of the week
7. Mountain View, Ark. This three-bedroom home features log beams throughout the interior and a wraparound deck with views of the White River and the Ozark Mountains. The kitchen includes a breakfast nook and handcrafted cabinets, and the master suite has a Jacuzzi tub. $259,000. Jason Brink, Majestic Properties, (563) 568-1555
Continue reading for free
We hope you're enjoying The Week's refreshingly open-minded journalism.
Subscribed to The Week? Register your account with the same email as your subscription.