The week's news at a glance.
More than 50 Kenyan villagers died this week after drinking a bad batch of home-brewed liquor. Kenyans who cant afford beer often drink changaa, an illegal spirit made from corn, molasses, and methanol, an industrial alcohol used in antifreeze. Police said the brewer must have added too much methanol, rendering the brew poisonous. Hundreds are believed to have sampled the toxic batch; dozens are recovering in the local hospital. Some of them are blind, some of them are very weak, Kenyan television reported, and nearly all of them are dehydrated. Parliament will soon consider whether to legalize changaa, a move proponents say would lead to higher production standards.