Britishvolt: how Britain’s bright battery hope was zapped
Battery-making startup’s demise ‘has thrown up tales of reckless spending’ and incompetence
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
The demise of Britishvolt – a battery-making startup with ambitious plans to build a £4bn gigafactory in Northumberland – has sent shockwaves through industry and politics, said The Sunday Times. “Billed as the great hope” of the country’s electric vehicle future, and once valued at £1bn, the company’s collapse “has thrown up tales of reckless spending”, lavish salaries and incompetence.
Britishvolt was bigged up by ministers, even as it “struggled to land a major customer”, and its failure “poses difficult questions about the future of highly skilled manufacturing, the Government’s ability to level up deprived regions, and the UK’s reputation as a place to develop business”.
Formed in 2019 by two Swedish businessmen (neither of whom had experience in EVs), the firm projected that by 2028, European battery demand would outstrip supply by 554GWh – “enough for 15 Britishvolts”. Plenty of investors bought the story, said Jasper Jolly in The Guardian: including Ashtead, Glencore, Tritax (an Abrdn-owned fund) and backers from Norway and Indonesia.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
But in summer 2022, construction of the gigafactory was put on “life support” until Britishvolt could find more funds. It emerged that managers had been splashing out on Porsches, high-grade computer kit, yoga lessons and a £2.8m mansion with a swimming pool and Jacuzzi-style bath “for workers” – most of whom have now lost their jobs.
Some thought the Britishvolt project doomed from the outset, said the FT. It was founded on the idea of “build it and they will come” – when standard industry practice suggests it is better to secure orders first.
As the blame game gets under way, EY (whose consulting arm is itself a creditor) has now put “the UK’s most promising” gigafactory site back onto the market. The Australian battery company Recharge Industries has already made a preliminary bid, as it seeks to capitalise on closer ties between Australia and the UK. Recharge Industries founder David Collard said “a potential Anglo-Australian deal for Britishvolt” would be preferable to a takeover by a company from China, which “dominates global supply”, reported The Times.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
-
The ‘ravenous’ demand for Cornish mineralsUnder the Radar Growing need for critical minerals to power tech has intensified ‘appetite’ for lithium, which could be a ‘huge boon’ for local economy
-
Why are election experts taking Trump’s midterm threats seriously?IN THE SPOTLIGHT As the president muses about polling place deployments and a centralized electoral system aimed at one-party control, lawmakers are taking this administration at its word
-
‘Restaurateurs have become millionaires’Instant Opinion Opinion, comment and editorials of the day
-
Health insurance: Premiums soar as ACA subsidies endFeature 1.4 million people have dropped coverage
-
Anthropic: AI triggers the ‘SaaSpocalypse’Feature A grim reaper for software services?
-
Currencies: Why Trump wants a weak dollarFeature The dollar has fallen 12% since Trump took office
-
Elon Musk’s starry mega-mergerTalking Point SpaceX founder is promising investors a rocket trip to the future – and a sprawling conglomerate to boot
-
TikTok: New owners, same risksFeature What are Larry Ellison’s plans for TikTok US?
-
Will SpaceX, OpenAI and Anthropic make 2026 the year of mega tech listings?In Depth SpaceX float may come as soon as this year, and would be the largest IPO in history
-
Leadership: A conspicuous silence from CEOsFeature CEOs were more vocal during Trump’s first term
-
Ryanair/SpaceX: could Musk really buy the airline?Talking Point Irish budget carrier has become embroiled in unlikely feud with the world’s wealthiest man