Steve Bannon backtracks on ‘treason’ claims
The former Trump aide says his remarks were aimed at Paul Manafort
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon has said remarks in which he appeared to call Donald Trump Jr “treasonous” were not directed at the US president’s son.
In a statement, he said Trump Jr is “both a patriot and a good man” and the remark, which appears in Michael Wolff’s book Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House, was directed towards the President’s former campaign chief.
“My comments were aimed at Paul Manafort, a seasoned campaign professional with experience and knowledge of how the Russians operate," Bannon said. "He should have known they are duplicitous, cunning and not our friends.”
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Manafort, who was Trump’s campaign chairman at the time of the meeting, has since been indicted on money laundering charges by special counsel Robert Mueller, who is leading the Russia investigation.
CNN says the fallout from the comments, which were published last week, has prompted Trump to call on “friends and allies to choose between him and Bannon”, as the rift between the pair continues to widen. According to the BBC, Bannon has lost the main financial backer of his conservative Breitbart website, heiress Rebekah Mercer, who “cut off Bannon from funding following his remarks to Wolff”.
The President spent the following days publicly attacking Bannon, dubbing him “Sloppy Steve” in a series of tweets.
“Nowhere in his statement on Sunday did [Bannon] actually say he was sorry,” says The New York Times. “But the turn of events represented a stunning reversal of fortune for a man who once... reported only to the president himself.”
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
-
Bad Bunny’s Super Bowl: A win for unityFeature The global superstar's halftime show was a celebration for everyone to enjoy
-
Book reviews: ‘Bonfire of the Murdochs’ and ‘The Typewriter and the Guillotine’Feature New insights into the Murdoch family’s turmoil and a renowned journalist’s time in pre-World War II Paris
-
Witkoff and Kushner tackle Ukraine, Iran in GenevaSpeed Read Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner held negotiations aimed at securing a nuclear deal with Iran and an end to Russia’s war in Ukraine
-
Witkoff and Kushner tackle Ukraine, Iran in GenevaSpeed Read Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner held negotiations aimed at securing a nuclear deal with Iran and an end to Russia’s war in Ukraine
-
Kurt Olsen: Trump’s ‘Stop the Steal’ lawyer playing a major White House roleIn the Spotlight Olsen reportedly has access to significant US intelligence
-
Trump’s EPA kills legal basis for federal climate policySpeed Read The government’s authority to regulate several planet-warming pollutants has been repealed
-
House votes to end Trump’s Canada tariffsSpeed Read Six Republicans joined with Democrats to repeal the president’s tariffs
-
Bondi, Democrats clash over Epstein in hearingSpeed Read Attorney General Pam Bondi ignored survivors of convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and demanded that Democrats apologize to Trump
-
How corrupt is the UK?The Explainer Decline in standards ‘risks becoming a defining feature of our political culture’ as Britain falls to lowest ever score on global index
-
Judge blocks Trump suit for Michigan voter rollsSpeed Read A Trump-appointed federal judge rejected the administration’s demand for voters’ personal data
-
US to send 200 troops to Nigeria to train armySpeed Read Trump has accused the West African government of failing to protect Christians from terrorist attacks