The Week The Week
flag of US
US
flag of UK
UK
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/flexiimages/jacafc5zvs1692883516.jpg

SUBSCRIBE & SAVE

Less than $3 per week

Sign in
  • View Profile
  • Sign out
  • The Explainer
  • The Week Recommends
  • Newsletters
  • Cartoons
  • From the Magazine
  • The Week Junior
  • Student Offers
  • More
    • Politics
    • World News
    • Business
    • Health
    • Science
    • Food & Drink
    • Travel
    • Culture
    • History
    • Personal Finance
    • Puzzles
    • Photos
    • The Blend
    • All Categories
  • Newsletter sign up Newsletter
  • WeekDay AM: 10 Things you need to know this morning
    Prince Harry’s UK return, US-South Korea tensions, and France tackles telemarketing

     
    today’s royals story

    Harry and Meghan to return to UK

    What happened
    Prince Harry and Meghan are preparing to leave their home in California and settle in a private property outside London this month, according to reports. Their children, Archie, seven, and Lilibet, five, are expected to attend a British school from next month.

    Who said what
    The King was informed of the plans on Sunday, having apparently not known about them beforehand. Charles is said to welcome the prospect of having more private time with his son and grandchildren. Prince William and Catherine were also told of the move.

    The development “marks a significant shift in the Sussexes’ private and professional lives”, and will have a “notable impact on their relationship with the wider royal institution”, said Victoria Ward in The Telegraph. “Whether it will work remains to be seen.”

    The “shock move” also “raises questions over the January 2020 Sandringham Agreement, which ruled the couple could not juggle being working royals while earning private sector money”, said Matt Wilkinson in The Sun.

    What next?
    Security is likely to remain an important issue. Harry has previously argued that inadequate protection made him reluctant to bring his family to Britain, and he lost a legal challenge last year over the security arrangements provided for him.

    The Home Office said royal protection decisions were made independently through Ravec, with safeguards designed to be “rigorous and proportionate”. The couple’s return will mark their first permanent move back to Britain since leaving royal life six years ago.

     
     
    today’s international story

    US cuts short South Korea war drills

    What happened
    The US and South Korea are shortening their annual joint military exercises, with this year’s Ulchi Freedom Shield now due to finish on 21 August rather than 27 August. Seoul said Washington requested the change, while some field exercises will also be scaled back. The decision comes as Donald Trump has linked the curtailing of the drills to South Korea’s refusal to assist the US campaign against Iran.

    Who said what
    Trump said the exercises were expensive and sent an unnecessarily hostile message, while complaining that Seoul had declined to support the US in Iran. He also said he expected to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un later this year.

    Kim’s sister Kim Yo Jong said the shortening of the exercises did not alter their “aggressive essence”. She added that her brother still had “good memories and view of Trump”, but said Washington had not abandoned its hostile stance towards North Korea.

    What next?
    The “unprecedented curtailing shakes South Korea’s confidence in America’s commitment to come to its aid under a defence pact that is the foundation of their relationship”, said Tabby Wilson and Jake Kwon on the BBC.

    A Trump-Kim meeting could potentially take place in China in November, although no details have been confirmed.

     
     
    Today’s sport story

    Tennis star Kyrgios hit with ban for drug use

    What happened
    Australian player Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended from tennis after testing positive for cocaine. In a statement on Instagram, Kyrgios said he had “made a huge mistake”.

    Who said what
    Lamenting the potential end of his tennis career, he said: “I’ve always said I didn’t choose tennis – tennis chose me.” While it is not an excuse, he added that “letting go of something that has been my whole life is one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to face ... at times I’ve felt helpless and alone”.

    But his career “may not have actually reached its conclusion just yet”, said The Independent’s Kieran Jackson. At age 31, he “just about has time on his side” and “for all his numerous outbursts, he still brings a certain charisma and eccentricity to tennis; one which can captivate a different kind of audience”.

    What next?
    Kyrgios could be banned for up to four years, but if he can prove that he took the drug outside of competition, the maximum suspension he would face is three months.

     
     

    It’s not all bad

    Two giant bluefin tuna have been caught off the coast of Yorkshire for the first time in more than 60 years in what scientists are calling a “success story” for marine conservation. The species was once fished almost to extinction in the Mediterranean, but careful management has helped stocks recover and spread north. The 320kg fish were caught off Whitby where there are also growing numbers of minke whales and bottlenose dolphins.

     
     
    under the radar

    Will France’s bold anti-telemarketing move work?

    France has taken a major step towards cracking down on telemarketers with the passage of a new law. It may make the French people happy, but at least one country across the Mediterranean Sea is concerned about the move. Moroccans worry that the law, which bans unsolicited cold calls, could have a negative impact on its own job market.

    The law means that French companies are no longer “allowed to advertise goods and services through such calls unless consumers previously gave their consent or if the calls are about a pre-existing contract”, said The New York Times. While many countries have attempted to enact no-contact lists for telemarketers, the law represents a much more proactive approach in France. Violators of the law will be subject to fines of up to £63,000.

    Despite the joy in France, the feeling in Morocco is different. Given the nations’ close proximity, Morocco “represents a major market for telemarketing companies” contacting French customers, added the Times. Moroccan officials have “indicated that between 40,000 and 50,000 jobs could be at risk of disappearing” because of the new law, according to Moroccan newspaper Le Matin.

    Moroccan authorities are currently “rolling out a plan to ease the impact of the French law and support the sector”, according to Hespress, one of the country’s local news outlets. The plan starts by “encouraging companies to expand into new markets in Europe, including Germany, Spain and Italy, as well as into Africa and Latin America”. Officials are also urging companies to “shift from traditional telemarketing to higher-value services, including technical support, digital logistics, consulting and market research”.

     
     
    on this day

    20 August 1993

    The Oslo Peace Accords were signed between Israel and the Palestine Liberation Organisation after secret negotiations in Norway. This week US envoy Jared Kushner held rare in-person talks with Hamas chief Khalil al-Hayya in Egypt before proceeding to Jerusalem for a sit-down with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

     
     
    Today’s newspapers

    ‘Trump gossip’

    “Gossip hits fever pitch over Trump and his devoted ‘human printer’”, says the Daily Mail, reporting on the speculation over the relationship between the US president and his aide Natalie Harp. “Vaccine for skin cancer helps fight off disease”, says The Times. “US Treasury to boost long-term bond purchases in effort to restrain bond sell-off”, reports the Financial Times. The Guardian’s front page says “Working in Starmer’s No. 10 was unbearable”, quoting his ex-chief of staff Sue Gray. Meanwhile, Metro leads on the “Refugee family who drowned in seaside tragedy”.

    See the newspaper front pages

     
     
    tall tale

    Bench sets new benchmark

    While some may say perfection is impossible, Sam Wilmot – the founder of the Instagram account Rate This Bench – has finally found his 10/10. Wilmot launched the account in 2019 after jokingly judging benches while out walking with friends. He had never awarded full marks until revisiting one at St John The Baptist Church in Old Sodbury, South Gloucestershire on his wedding day. “It had been the ongoing thing with the page, that people are always asking why there’s never been a 10. And I think the sort of feeling and euphoria of marrying a person you’ve loved for so long, I’m never going to sit on a bench again that’s going to have that,” he told the BBC.

     
     

    Morning Report was written and edited by Arion McNicoll, Jamie Timson, Justin Klawans, Ross Couzens and Chas Newkey-Burden, with illustrations by Julia Wytrazek.

    Image credits, from top: Jonathan Brady / Pool / AFP / Getty Images; Seung-il Ryu / NurPhoto / Getty Images; Kelly Defina / Getty Images; Illustration by Julia Wytrazek / Getty Images.

    Morning Report and Evening Review were named Newsletter of the Year at the Publisher Newsletter Awards 2025
     

    Recent editions

    • Morning Report

      Trump’s hit-and-miss primary night

    • Evening Review

      Will Paramount leave Hollywood?

    • Morning Report

      Big Bend’s border barrier reprieve

    VIEW ALL
    TheWeek
    • About Us
    • Contact Future's experts
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Privacy Policy
    • Cookie Policy
    • Advertise With Us
    • FAQ
    Add as a preferred source on Google Add as a preferred source on Google

    The Week is part of Future US Inc, an international media group and leading digital publisher. Visit our corporate site.

    © Future US, Inc. Full 7th Floor, 130 West 42nd Street, New York, NY 10036.