London Bridge attack: What we know so far

Police detain 'a number of people' in raids in east London following atrocity on Saturday night

Terrorist attack on London Bridge
Counter terrorism officers at the scene of the London Bridge terrorist attack
(Image credit: Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)

Seven people died and 48 others were wounded following a terrorist attack in central London on Saturday night.

Three knifemen wearing fake suicide bomb vests drove a van at pedestrians on London Bridge at a little after 10pm before entering bars and restaurants in the Borough Market area and targeting people seemingly at random.

The attackers were shot dead in the street by police firing what Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said was an "unprecedented" 50 shots. The attack was over by 10.16pm, within eight minutes of the first call to emergency services.

The Week

Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

SUBSCRIBE & SAVE
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/flexiimages/jacafc5zvs1692883516.jpg

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.

Sign up

This was the third terror attack in the UK in three months and the second of the general election campaign. Here is what we know so far.

Seven dead, 21 critical

Seven people have died so far from injuries sustained on Saturday night, while 21 are believed to be in a critical condition in hospitals across London and 27 others have less serious injuries. Among the injured is a man accidentally shot by police, who are believed to have fired so many shots in an effort to prevent the attackers detonating their "explosive" vests. However, his injuries were "not critical", said Rowley, and he is expected to make a full recovery.

IS claims responsibility

Islamic State said its "fighters" were responsible for the attack, reports the Site Intelligence Group, a US-based organisation which monitors the terrorist group's online activities. Witnesses at London Bridge said the attackers told them: "This is for Allah."

Arrests in east London

Police raided properties in Barking, east London, on Sunday morning and arrested 12 people in connection with the attack. There were further raids in Barking and also Newham this morning, in which police say they detained "a number of people".

Foreign citizens among victims

Wounded and dead include people from Australia, Greece, Spain and Canada, while French foreign minister Jean-Yves Le Drian confirmed a Frenchman had been killed and seven other people from the country were injured.

First victim: Christine Archibald

Canadian Christine Archibald, 30, is the first victim to be named. A former worker in a homeless shelter, she moved to London to be with her fiance, Tyler Ferguson. His sister told CBC that Archibald died in his arms on London Bridge.

London Bridge is open again

London Bridge is open to traffic and pedestrians again this morning after being closed yesterday, although a cordon remains around parts of Borough Market and the vicinity of the bridge. London Bridge underground station is open but was exit-only this morning.

Country to observe a minute's silence

The UK will observe a minute's silence at 11am on Tuesday 6 June to remember those who have lost their lives and all those affected by the attacks.

Explore More