Team #NeverTrump has a new plan to deny Donald Trump (and Clinton) the presidency


Republican opposition to Donald Trump hasn't died entirely, even though the #NeverTrump Republicans are accepting the fact that they can't stop him from becoming their party's presidential nominee. So they have a new plan, and it doesn't involve any shenanigans at the Republican National Convention, Fox News' John Roberts said Tuesday night, citing "a highly-placed Republican source."
The plan, hatched by "a group of donors and political insiders," Roberts explains, "is to launch a none-of-the-above campaign in a handful of states where neither Trump nor Clinton did particularly well. #NeverTrump Republicans and Bernie Sanders supporters would be given a third option to vote for in each of those states. The strategy is to deny both Trump and Clinton the 270 electoral votes needed to win the presidency," thus throwing the election to the GOP-controlled House of Representatives. It has happened before, in 1825, he notes, and not everyone thinks the plan is crazy — though it certainly puts the Electoral College at existential risk.
"When I looked at the deadlines for the states, and then when I looked at the polling data in terms of the number of people who are not satisfied with either one of the nominees, I realized this is not a cockamamie plan," Randy Evans, head of the Republican National Lawyers Association and a member of the Republican National Committee, tells Fox News. "This could actually work if it had the right amount of funding." Go read Paul Waldman's article about fools and their money, watch Samantha Bee's interview with a conflicted super PAC super donor, then check out the Fox News report below. Peter Weber
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up for Today's Best Articles in your inbox
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Peter has worked as a news and culture writer and editor at The Week since the site's launch in 2008. He covers politics, world affairs, religion and cultural currents. His journalism career began as a copy editor at a financial newswire and has included editorial positions at The New York Times Magazine, Facts on File, and Oregon State University.
-
Markets notch worst quarter in years as new tariffs loom
Speed Read The S&P 500 is on track for its worst month since 2022 as investors brace for Trump's tariffs
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
'What is this Hungarian model they so admire?'
Instant Opinion 'Opinion, comment and editorials of the day'
By Justin Klawans, The Week US Published
-
Today's political cartoons - April 1, 2025
Cartoons Tuesday's cartoons - trade wars, tax deadlines, and more
By The Week US Published
-
Trump 'not joking' about unconstitutional 3rd term
Speed Read The president seems to be serious about seeking a third term in 2028
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
The JFK files: the truth at last?
In The Spotlight More than 64,000 previously classified documents relating the 1963 assassination of John F. Kennedy have been released by the Trump administration
By The Week Staff Published
-
Supreme Court upholds 'ghost gun' restrictions
Speed Read Ghost guns can be regulated like other firearms
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Trump sets 25% tariffs on auto imports
Speed Read The White House says the move will increase domestic manufacturing. But the steep import taxes could also harm the US auto industry.
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Trump allies urge White House to admit chat blunder
Speed Read Even pro-Trump figures are criticizing The White House's handling of the Signal scandal
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Waltz takes blame for texts amid calls for Hegseth ouster
Speed Read Democrats are calling for Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and national security adviser Michael Waltz to step down
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Judge: Nazis treated better than Trump deportees
speed read U.S. District Judge James Boasberg reaffirmed his order barring President Donald Trump from deporting alleged Venezuelan gang members
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
US officials share war plans with journalist in group chat
Speed Read Atlantic editor Jeffrey Goldberg was accidentally added to a Signal conversation about striking Yemen
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published