Dr. Oz says he'll ask Trump 'pointed' questions, but nothing he doesn't want to answer
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Dr. Mehmet Oz plans to do the impossible during his upcoming interview with Donald Trump: He will somehow ask the Republican nominee "pointed questions about his health" without asking "questions he doesn't want to have answered."
The host of The Dr. Oz Show sent these mixed messages during an interview Tuesday on Fox News Radio's Kilmeade & Friends. Just seconds after Oz said he's going to look at Trump's record and ask the tough questions, he backtracked, saying, "The metaphor for me is this is the doctor's office, the studio. So, I'm not going to ask him questions he doesn't want to have answered." Oz also said he "doesn't want to talk about anybody else," and "we're not going to be talking about Secretary Clinton, for sure," and he won't "talk about things that are outside the health purview."
The interview is scheduled for Wednesday to air on Thursday, and while the Trump campaign so far has given him permission to ask anything, Oz said if they decide to limit his questions, "I'll acknowledge them." Trump will be accompanied by his daughter Ivanka Trump, and while Oz won't be conducting a full medical exam on the show, he will review the results of Trump's physical (which may or may not be a surprise to Trump, Brian Kilmeade said on Tuesday's Fox and Friends). Based on Oz's statements, expect either hard-hitting questions about the ailments of a 70-year-old man or awkward silence as he attempts to come up with something, anything Trump is willing to answer.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Catherine Garcia has worked as a senior writer at The Week since 2014. Her writing and reporting have appeared in Entertainment Weekly, The New York Times, Wirecutter, NBC News and "The Book of Jezebel," among others. She's a graduate of the University of Redlands and the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.
-
How to Get to Heaven from Belfast: a ‘highly entertaining ride’The Week Recommends Mystery-comedy from the creator of Derry Girls should be ‘your new binge-watch’
-
The 8 best TV shows of the 1960sThe standout shows of this decade take viewers from outer space to the Wild West
-
Microdramas are boomingUnder the radar Scroll to watch a whole movie
-
Judge orders Washington slavery exhibit restoredSpeed Read The Trump administration took down displays about slavery at the President’s House Site in Philadelphia
-
Hyatt chair joins growing list of Epstein files losersSpeed Read Thomas Pritzker stepped down as executive chair of the Hyatt Hotels Corporation over his ties with Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell
-
Judge blocks Hegseth from punishing Kelly over videoSpeed Read Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth pushed for the senator to be demoted over a video in which he reminds military officials they should refuse illegal orders
-
Trump’s EPA kills legal basis for federal climate policySpeed Read The government’s authority to regulate several planet-warming pollutants has been repealed
-
House votes to end Trump’s Canada tariffsSpeed Read Six Republicans joined with Democrats to repeal the president’s tariffs
-
Bondi, Democrats clash over Epstein in hearingSpeed Read Attorney General Pam Bondi ignored survivors of convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and demanded that Democrats apologize to Trump
-
El Paso airspace closure tied to FAA-Pentagon standoffSpeed Read The closure in the Texas border city stemmed from disagreements between the Federal Aviation Administration and Pentagon officials over drone-related tests
-
Judge blocks Trump suit for Michigan voter rollsSpeed Read A Trump-appointed federal judge rejected the administration’s demand for voters’ personal data
