Seth Meyers doesn't have much faith in Trump's detective skills: 'He sounds like Sherlock Holmes after a concussion'
Every few months, the White House goes into denial mode, where people "working at the highest levels of government have to put down everything they're doing and hunt for the anonymous mole who just called the president a brain-dead moron," Seth Meyers said on Monday's Late Night.
Last week, President Trump faced one personal crisis after another, with an anonymous staffer writing a New York Times op-ed about how White House aides take things off Trump's desk before he can sign them and Bob Woodward previewing his new book, Fear, filled with revealing tidbits like how Trump almost tweeted his way into war with North Korea. Trump called on Attorney General Jeff Sessions to investigate who penned the op-ed, but "the fact is, calling Donald Trump an incompetent moron is not a crime," Meyers said. "It's not even new information."
Trump was clearly spooked, as he tweeted about Woodward's book multiple times, calling it a "joke" and "fiction," and rambled when asked about the mysterious op-ed writer. "He sounds like Sherlock Holmes after a concussion," Meyers said. "'My dear Watson, we're going to find out who the suspect is and where he is and what he did and who he what and why and where.'" Trump continued to rail against the writer during a televised rally, stumbling over the word "anonymous," which didn't surprise Meyers. "He's never done anything anonymously in his life," he said. "If he had been the Gossip Girl, he would have signed the notes, 'XOXO, Donald J. Trump.'" Watch the video, featuring a plausible re-enactment of how Trump looks when he types, below. Catherine Garcia
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Catherine Garcia has worked as a senior writer at The Week since 2014. Her writing and reporting have appeared in Entertainment Weekly, The New York Times, Wirecutter, NBC News and "The Book of Jezebel," among others. She's a graduate of the University of Redlands and the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.
-
Rothermere’s Telegraph takeover: ‘a right-leaning media powerhouse’Talking Point Deal gives Daily Mail and General Trust more than 50% of circulation in the UK newspaper market
-
The US-Saudi relationship: too big to fail?Talking Point With the Saudis investing $1 trillion into the US, and Trump granting them ‘major non-Nato ally’ status, for now the two countries need each other
-
Sudoku medium: November 30, 2025The daily medium sudoku puzzle from The Week
-
Judge halts Trump’s DC Guard deploymentSpeed Read The Trump administration has ‘infringed upon the District’s right to govern itself,’ the judge ruled
-
Trump accuses Democrats of sedition meriting ‘death’Speed Read The president called for Democratic lawmakers to be arrested for urging the military to refuse illegal orders
-
Court strikes down Texas GOP gerrymanderSpeed Read The Texas congressional map ordered by Trump is likely an illegal racial gerrymander, the court ruled
-
Trump defends Saudi prince, shrugs off Khashoggi murderSpeed Read The president rebuked an ABC News reporter for asking Mohammed bin Salman about the death of a Washington Post journalist at the Saudi Consulate in 2018
-
Congress passes bill to force release of Epstein filesSpeed Read The Justice Department will release all files from its Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking investigation
-
Trump says he will sell F-35 jets to Saudi ArabiaSpeed Read The president plans to make several deals with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman this week
-
Judge blasts ‘profound’ errors in Comey caseSpeed Read ‘Government misconduct’ may necessitate dismissing the charges against the former FBI director altogether
-
Ecuador rejects push to allow US military basesSpeed Read Voters rejected a repeal of a constitutional ban on US and other foreign military bases in the country
