Melania Trump says women who allege sexual misconduct need 'really hard evidence'
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
First lady Melania Trump may have been half a world away on her first major solo trip abroad, but she still couldn't escape the controversies of the U.S.
In an interview with ABC News, taped in Kenya last week and set to be aired Friday, Trump talked about her experience as first lady so far. A preview released Wednesday shows that she also talked about where she stands on the "#MeToo" movement, in light of allegations against Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh.
"I support the women," she said. "They need to be heard, we need to support them. And also, men, not just women." However, she echoed her husband in declaring that people "need to have really hard evidence" if they come forward with allegations of sexual misconduct. "If you accuse of something, show the evidence," she said.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
ABC News' Tom Llamas pointed out that some critics would surely say she needs to support women who come forward, no matter what. Trump insisted that she does "stand with women," but reiterated the need for evidence. "You cannot just say to somebody 'I was sexually assaulted,'" she said, "because sometimes the media goes too far. The way they portray some stories, it's not correct, it's not right." Watch the preview below, via ABC News. Summer Meza
Editor's note: A previous version of this article misidentified the location of the first lady's interview. It has since been corrected. We regret the error.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Summer Meza has worked at The Week since 2018, serving as a staff writer, a news writer and currently the deputy editor. As a proud news generalist, she edits everything from political punditry and science news to personal finance advice and film reviews. Summer has previously written for Newsweek and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, covering national politics, transportation and the cannabis industry.
-
Political cartoons for February 16Cartoons Monday’s political cartoons include President's Day, a valentine from the Epstein files, and more
-
Regent Hong Kong: a tranquil haven with a prime waterfront spotThe Week Recommends The trendy hotel recently underwent an extensive two-year revamp
-
The problem with diagnosing profound autismThe Explainer Experts are reconsidering the idea of autism as a spectrum, which could impact diagnoses and policy making for the condition
-
Judge blocks Hegseth from punishing Kelly over videoSpeed Read Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth pushed for the senator to be demoted over a video in which he reminds military officials they should refuse illegal orders
-
Trump’s EPA kills legal basis for federal climate policySpeed Read The government’s authority to regulate several planet-warming pollutants has been repealed
-
House votes to end Trump’s Canada tariffsSpeed Read Six Republicans joined with Democrats to repeal the president’s tariffs
-
Bondi, Democrats clash over Epstein in hearingSpeed Read Attorney General Pam Bondi ignored survivors of convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and demanded that Democrats apologize to Trump
-
El Paso airspace closure tied to FAA-Pentagon standoffSpeed Read The closure in the Texas border city stemmed from disagreements between the Federal Aviation Administration and Pentagon officials over drone-related tests
-
Judge blocks Trump suit for Michigan voter rollsSpeed Read A Trump-appointed federal judge rejected the administration’s demand for voters’ personal data
-
US to send 200 troops to Nigeria to train armySpeed Read Trump has accused the West African government of failing to protect Christians from terrorist attacks
-
Grand jury rejects charging 6 Democrats for ‘orders’ videoSpeed Read The jury refused to indict Democratic lawmakers for a video in which they urged military members to resist illegal orders
