Dick Cheney's cardiologist thinks there's something fishy about Trump's medical exam
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
In 2018, President Trump's physician held a press conference to gush over the results of his annual physical exam, hailing his "incredible genes" and sharing that he told Trump "if he had a healthier diet over the last 20 years, he might live to be 200." In 2019, beyond releasing a brief memo saying Trump is in "very good health," the White House is staying quiet.
Jonathan Reiner, director of the cardiac catheterization laboratory at The George Washington University Hospital and former Vice President Dick Cheney's cardiologist, thinks this is awfully suspicious. "It's been 4 days since the president underwent his annual physical exam and still no data has been released," he tweeted Tuesday. "What are they hiding?"
On Friday, the White House released a memo from Sean Conley, the physician to the president, which revealed that Trump underwent a four-hour physical exam at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. He said the "reports and recommendations are being finalized," but he's "happy to announce the president of the United States is in very good health and I anticipate he will remain so for the duration of his presidency, and beyond." The White House has yet to release any medical data from the exam.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
It's a turnaround from last year, when his doctor at the time, Ronny Jackson, spoke at length about the president's exam. He admitted Trump could exercise more and eat better, but still said he was in excellent health, both mentally and physically.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Catherine Garcia has worked as a senior writer at The Week since 2014. Her writing and reporting have appeared in Entertainment Weekly, The New York Times, Wirecutter, NBC News and "The Book of Jezebel," among others. She's a graduate of the University of Redlands and the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.
-
Why are election experts taking Trump’s midterm threats seriously?IN THE SPOTLIGHT As the president muses about polling place deployments and a centralized electoral system aimed at one-party control, lawmakers are taking this administration at its word
-
‘Restaurateurs have become millionaires’Instant Opinion Opinion, comment and editorials of the day
-
Earth is rapidly approaching a ‘hothouse’ trajectory of warmingThe explainer It may become impossible to fix
-
Why are election experts taking Trump’s midterm threats seriously?IN THE SPOTLIGHT As the president muses about polling place deployments and a centralized electoral system aimed at one-party control, lawmakers are taking this administration at its word
-
‘Restaurateurs have become millionaires’Instant Opinion Opinion, comment and editorials of the day
-
NIH director Bhattacharya tapped as acting CDC headSpeed Read Jay Bhattacharya, a critic of the CDC’s Covid-19 response, will now lead the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
-
Should the EU and UK join Trump’s board of peace?Today's Big Question After rushing to praise the initiative European leaders are now alarmed
-
Witkoff and Kushner tackle Ukraine, Iran in GenevaSpeed Read Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner held negotiations aimed at securing a nuclear deal with Iran and an end to Russia’s war in Ukraine
-
Pentagon spokesperson forced out as DHS’s resignsSpeed Read Senior military adviser Col. David Butler was fired by Pete Hegseth and Homeland Security spokesperson Tricia McLaughlin is resigning
-
Judge orders Washington slavery exhibit restoredSpeed Read The Trump administration took down displays about slavery at the President’s House Site in Philadelphia
-
Kurt Olsen: Trump’s ‘Stop the Steal’ lawyer playing a major White House roleIn the Spotlight Olsen reportedly has access to significant US intelligence
