Trump's national emergency declaration faces rebuke in the Senate despite last-minute efforts to compromise
As Thursday's Senate vote swiftly approaches, President Trump's national emergency declaration faces near-certain humiliation, despite his administration's attempt to broker some sort of deal with on-the-fence Republicans.
On Wednesday, Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) became the fifth Republican to announce that he would vote in favor of the resolution in favor of blocking Trump's emergency declaration regarding the border, which was already passed in the House. Sens. Lisa Murkowski (R-Ala.), Susan Collins (R-Maine), Thom Tillis (R-N.C.), and Rand Paul (R-Ky.) had all previously announced their decisions to support the measure. Those four alone were enough to secure a majority considering all 47 Democratic senators are set to vote for the motion, but The Hill reports that Tillis was willing to compromise with the Trump administration and possibly switch his vote, leaving some hope for the White House.
Lee, too, sought to find a middle ground and perhaps limit the number of Republican defections on the vote. Through negotiations with Vice President Mike Pence, Lee proposed a bill that would limit the scope of presidential powers going forward, The Washington Post reported, but Trump personally called Lee and told him that the deal was not acceptable. In turn, Lee committed to blocking the declaration, all but assuring a victory for the resolution. If successful, the resolution would send a clear message of disapproval to Trump, who declared an emergency in part to help him build his promised border wall.
The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.
Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
However, Congress likely does not have the votes to override Trump's inevitable veto.
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Tim is a staff writer at The Week and has contributed to Bedford and Bowery and The New York Transatlantic. He is a graduate of Occidental College and NYU's journalism school. Tim enjoys writing about baseball, Europe, and extinct megafauna. He lives in New York City.
-
Nigel Farage: was he a teenage racist?Talking Point Farage’s denials have been ‘slippery’, but should claims from Reform leader’s schooldays be on the news agenda?
-
Pushing for peace: is Trump appeasing Moscow?In Depth European leaders succeeded in bringing themselves in from the cold and softening Moscow’s terms, but Kyiv still faces an unenviable choice
-
Sudoku medium: November 29, 2025The daily medium sudoku puzzle from The Week
-
Judge halts Trump’s DC Guard deploymentSpeed Read The Trump administration has ‘infringed upon the District’s right to govern itself,’ the judge ruled
-
Trump accuses Democrats of sedition meriting ‘death’Speed Read The president called for Democratic lawmakers to be arrested for urging the military to refuse illegal orders
-
Court strikes down Texas GOP gerrymanderSpeed Read The Texas congressional map ordered by Trump is likely an illegal racial gerrymander, the court ruled
-
Trump defends Saudi prince, shrugs off Khashoggi murderSpeed Read The president rebuked an ABC News reporter for asking Mohammed bin Salman about the death of a Washington Post journalist at the Saudi Consulate in 2018
-
Congress passes bill to force release of Epstein filesSpeed Read The Justice Department will release all files from its Jeffrey Epstein sex-trafficking investigation
-
Trump says he will sell F-35 jets to Saudi ArabiaSpeed Read The president plans to make several deals with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman this week
-
Judge blasts ‘profound’ errors in Comey caseSpeed Read ‘Government misconduct’ may necessitate dismissing the charges against the former FBI director altogether
-
Ecuador rejects push to allow US military basesSpeed Read Voters rejected a repeal of a constitutional ban on US and other foreign military bases in the country
