Guatemala's president-elect says asylum deal made with U.S. is off the table


Guatemala is struggling to provide for its own people, president-elect Alejandro Giammattei said Tuesday, and there's no way the country will be able to support an influx of migrants.
During an interview with The Associated Press, Giammattei said the immigration agreement cobbled together in July by outgoing President Jimmy Morales and the Trump administration just won't work. Under the deal, migrants who cross into Guatemala on their way to the United States must apply for asylum there first; only if they are denied can they go on and request asylum in the U.S.
"In order to be a safe country, one has to be certified as such by an international body, and I do not think Guatemala fulfills the requirements to be a third safe country," Giammattei said. "That definition doesn't fit us. If we do not have the capacity for our own people, just imagine other people." Guatemalans are leaving the country in droves, escaping poverty and crime, and critics say it makes no sense to have people apply for asylum there. The deal was forged after the Trump administration threatened Guatemala with taxes.
Subscribe to The Week
Escape your echo chamber. Get the facts behind the news, plus analysis from multiple perspectives.

Sign up for The Week's Free Newsletters
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
From our morning news briefing to a weekly Good News Newsletter, get the best of The Week delivered directly to your inbox.
Giammattei, a conservative, won a runoff election over the weekend, and will take office on Jan. 14, 2020. He told AP the way things are now, he has no reason to believe that undocumented migrants will stay away from the United States. "I do not think physical walls, or walls of weapons, can stop migration," he said. "I think what can stop migration are walls of opportunities."
Sign up for Today's Best Articles in your inbox
A free daily email with the biggest news stories of the day – and the best features from TheWeek.com
Catherine Garcia has worked as a senior writer at The Week since 2014. Her writing and reporting have appeared in Entertainment Weekly, The New York Times, Wirecutter, NBC News and "The Book of Jezebel," among others. She's a graduate of the University of Redlands and the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.
-
Trump 'not joking' about unconstitutional 3rd term
Speed Read The president seems to be serious about seeking a third term in 2028
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
The JFK files: the truth at last?
In The Spotlight More than 64,000 previously classified documents relating the 1963 assassination of John F. Kennedy have been released by the Trump administration
By The Week Staff Published
-
Supreme Court upholds 'ghost gun' restrictions
Speed Read Ghost guns can be regulated like other firearms
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published
-
Trump sets 25% tariffs on auto imports
Speed Read The White House says the move will increase domestic manufacturing. But the steep import taxes could also harm the US auto industry.
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Trump allies urge White House to admit chat blunder
Speed Read Even pro-Trump figures are criticizing The White House's handling of the Signal scandal
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Waltz takes blame for texts amid calls for Hegseth ouster
Speed Read Democrats are calling for Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and national security adviser Michael Waltz to step down
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
Judge: Nazis treated better than Trump deportees
speed read U.S. District Judge James Boasberg reaffirmed his order barring President Donald Trump from deporting alleged Venezuelan gang members
By Peter Weber, The Week US Published
-
US officials share war plans with journalist in group chat
Speed Read Atlantic editor Jeffrey Goldberg was accidentally added to a Signal conversation about striking Yemen
By Rafi Schwartz, The Week US Published